Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planting dry asparagus crowns  (Read 9061 times)

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Planting dry asparagus crowns
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:14:20 am »
Hi, All!

I'm fairly new at beekeeping.  This is my 5th seasons with one nuc hive. 
Because of our mild winter environment in zone 9 b, this is a perfect time to
plant some asparagus crowns.  I've read that honey bees will work on the
asparagus flowers too.  So I like to see how they will grow in our area.  This year I've ordered 40 purple passion asparagus crowns via the online store.  The crowns arrived on time but the roots were bone dry!

For those of you who have received asparagus crowns via mail in the past, did they arrive dry? And if so, did they grow well after you planted them out?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Planting dry asparagus crowns
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:15:07 am »
Yes, they would normally be packed in dry peat moss.  Hydrate them first before planting and in your dry area you better keep the water to them or you will be eating corn stalks.  Note, you can't harvest for 3 years.  Yes, bees love them.

Oh I forgot to add when you do harvest do not harvest everything from each root.  You need to let some grow to full maturity or you will have none the next year.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:27:10 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 12:12:52 pm »
Yup.  Dry.
We get ours out of bins at the feed store.  they are sold bare like bulbs.

When you plant them, spread the roots out and then if you have hard winters, it doesn't hurt to throw some straw over them for winter.  Just make sure you take it off early in spring.  they are pretty hardy so most will make it without the straw.

Pull up some youtube videos of planting.  They are simple, but you want to get the right depth and soil for a good start.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:18 pm »
I was able to eat many of my asparagus during the second season.  Picked them right off the plant.
Thanks for the tip not to eat them all!
Next year will be the third year of my 6x20 bed, looking forward to it.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:13:47 am »
I planted all 40 crowns in my 15x40' plot today.  Still have a lot of room left to
grow something else.  But it is getting colder now at night time.   So have to order more
crowns to fill up this bed soon.   Found out that asparagus are very healthy for us and can prevent
many diseases.  Too bad not many know about this.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:39 am »
Which option to take?
They're the same asparagus specie:

Option 1: Large fresh live 2 year old roots, roots grown from former president of an asparagus growers association, cost $85 for 100 crowns.

Option 2: 2 year old roots, not fresh roots (must be the bone dry roots same as last order?), cost $99 for 200 crowns.   

This is all the information I have from the 2 different sellers.   So which option will you take? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:35 am »
  So have to order more
crowns to fill up this bed soon.

Remember that in the right environment, they are a weed.  You don't usually have to fill a bed to fill a bed.

Wet or dry doesn't matter except in when you are going to buy and plant.  Dry takes a little longer to get going, you can take longer to plant, and I have had more rot problems with wet if I plant in the spring, but it is WET here so....

Unless you have good storage conditions I would not buy anything until spring.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:04:35 pm »
I just dedicated a bed to asparagus.  I believe I have read that the taste will bleed into other plants.  Could be wrong, but that's how I did it.
I planted all dry.  Bought them at a local hardware store.
I put a lot of dead leaves down to prevent weeds, they seem to grow thru it ok.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:06 pm »
I believe I have read that the taste will bleed into other plants.

Hasn't been my experience.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:27 pm »
Thank you for inspiring me to look it up:

From Home Guides:
Other friendly plants to place near asparagus include marigolds (Tagetes), comfrey, coriander and dill. These plants deter some insect pests, such as aphids, spider mites and other harmful species. Be careful when companion planting with these herbs and flowers, because while they are friendly for asparagus, they may not be friendly with other companion vegetables, such as tomatoes, planted with the asparagus. Make sure each plant is compatible with the others before placing them in the same areas.
Asparagus Antagonists

There are plants that you should not plant near asparagus because they offer no benefits and may hinder plant growth or attract harmful insects to the area. The plants to avoid placing near asparagus include garlic, onions and potatoes. Garlic and onions can inhibit the growth of asparagus and other plants, such as peas. You can still grow these plants in your garden, but plant antagonistic varieties away from the asparagus.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »
From Home Guides:
Other friendly plants to place near asparagus include marigolds (Tagetes), comfrey, coriander and dill.
My wife planted oregano, and dill in the asparagus and comfrey near the apple tree not far from the asparagus.  She planted peas near another bed so I will slap her in the head for that one.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:42 pm »
You mean to pad your wife on the head for doing such a great job at growing the peas unless you don't like them.
I don't like peas either. 

My irrigated dripper set up at http://imgbox.com/E8dJ4s6J

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:10 am »
No I love peas but they are a lot of work for what you get.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 07:43:10 pm »
Update:

There are only 4 purple passion plants that grow this season from the crowns planting.  I'm very
disappointed indeed!   On the greener side, the fresh crowns Mary Washington asparagus are growing
nicely almost 2 feet tall.   It will be awhile before I can harvest anything.  I'll have to wait it out!

anything