BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Aussie Removal Stories

<< < (3/21) > >>

SlickMick:
Proper or not, I had to deal with 3 nucs that had swarms in them and 1 non-productive hive before I went overseas for 2 months in July. I ran out of time to do the combinations properly by removing the queens. Simply did paper combos with the nucs set on top of the non productive hive and let the queens fight it out. Came home 2 months later and the hive is booming. My theory that the strongest queen would be the survivor seems to have worked in this case.

Slicko

philinacoma:
I'm surprised where the queen turns up sometimes. The big cut-out I did in the bung wall a couple weeks ago I found the queen over 10m away on the other side of the bung on the ground in the grass. Today I was attending to a swarm. I moved as many bees as I could into a nuc put the lid on and left it for tonight to pick up. I was walking away about to brush the bees off and only found the one on me. I had to stop mid brush as it was the queen. Black as night she was. Sitting as calm as you like on my right sleeve. So I walked back to the nuc opened the lid and coaxed her into the box. She just walked in and disappeared in between a frame and the wall. Beautiful to watch.

And you know, I wish my queens would just pop up like that.  :-\

OzBuzz:
That is awesome! you can't ask for much better than that! all of the swarms i've collected the only way that i have been able to confirm so far that they're queen right is by carrying out an inspection

--- Quote from: philinacoma on September 27, 2010, 12:02:57 am ---I'm surprised where the queen turns up sometimes. The big cut-out I did in the bung wall a couple weeks ago I found the queen over 10m away on the other side of the bung on the ground in the grass. Today I was attending to a swarm. I moved as many bees as I could into a nuc put the lid on and left it for tonight to pick up. I was walking away about to brush the bees off and only found the one on me. I had to stop mid brush as it was the queen. Black as night she was. Sitting as calm as you like on my right sleeve. So I walked back to the nuc opened the lid and coaxed her into the box. She just walked in and disappeared in between a frame and the wall. Beautiful to watch.

And you know, I wish my queens would just pop up like that.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Pete:
I removed a swarm from a nice old blokes house in Frankston last Sunday. It was in some kinda conifer type tree. We grabbed it, got the whole swarm, let the box sit there for an hour before we left. Left 50 or so bees behind, there really wasnt many.

Today (Tuesday he rings) and says the whole same things re happened to him...lot of bees in the yard and they settled into a basketball sized swarm on the same tree 2 braches higher. He says in 10 years he has never had bees before. He is old and doesnt seem to have much cash so i will help him out again and practise swarm combining.

Do you think this type of tree is popular with bees, or do they like going to the same place others have been, or just a big coincidence, some problem with the matrix?

Appreciate any thoughts.

asprince:

--- Quote from: Pete on September 28, 2010, 08:17:11 am ---
Do you think this type of tree is popular with bees, or do they like going to the same place others have been, or just a big coincidence, some problem with the matrix?

Appreciate any thoughts.

--- End quote ---

Good Question. I too have hived multi swarms from the same tree.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version