Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoke Out  (Read 3182 times)

Offline rgeary

• Brood
Smoke Out
« on: December 20, 2016, 06:10:23 pm »
Come spring, I'm thinking of removing some bees from a tree.  This tree has a large entrance at the bottom.  Not very good for a trap out cone.  This tree is also in town, next to some apartments.   I was wondering every ones thoughts about drilling a hole near what I think is the top of the chamber and smoking them out from the bottom, after I cover the bottom with wire mesh?  I'm thinking this would allow the tree to live, and I could get the complete colony out within a day, so as to not bother the tenants.  Please give me some good feedback ideas, agree or disagree.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Smoke Out
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 07:58:28 pm »
If it was a new swarm that just moved in you could smoke them out. Since they are established with brood they will not abandon the brood.
You will need to do a trap out to get them out without cutting the tree. You can use a tarp to seal up the bottom and just cut a hole for them to get out. I like to use the little plastic bee escape that is designed to go over the inner cover hole. I mount it on a board that can cover and seal the hole up. It will take 3 to 6 weeks to work. If you have SHB sit will go quicker.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:15:24 pm »
I second this.  I tried it and added HoneyBGone when the smoke didn't work.  Bees were out, but it was a long mess and they all died the next day.  I'm guessing too many oils, etc.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 06:42:51 am »
Look up a "hogan style" trap.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:51 am »
I have never managed to get the bees to leave an established colony by smoking them.  Maybe Fisher's Bee Quick or Bee Go might work, but I doubt that as well...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:40:21 am »
If I was planning on capturing a wild hive in the spring should I try to catch a swarm or do a cut out of an established hive?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 09:58:53 am »
CATCH A SWARM, 10 times over.

Better chance of getting a queen.
Less likely to be heavily diseased.
No 8 hours of stinging, sweaty work.
Known amount of bees in the group.
No complaints about tearing their house apart.
Less absconding.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:59:48 pm »
Thanks

anything