Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bear break in  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Shawmt

• Brood
Bear break in
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:22:48 am »
new bee keeper here. Received and installed nuc TODAY and just an hour ago we were woken up by the sound of a bear knocking the hive over. We moved the hive into the enclosed bed of the truck but have been debating whether or not to keep the bed window ajar so the bees can fly out in the morning as we work on setting up the bear fence. We were very close to neighbors and don?t want the bees disturbing them as we work but we also don?t want a huge swarm to accumulate in the inside of the bed. I know this is a very obscure question but if anyone has any similar experience I would be great full for any advice. We should have the fence up pretty quickly but we want to make it as easy as possible for the bees and ourselves when positioning the hive back to the rightful location. Thank you

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: Bear break in
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:16:44 am »
Wow - great story, I'll be looking to see suggestions. Welcome

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:07:48 pm »
There are others with far more experience than me, but being as you're probably feeling pressured on time, I'll chime in. 

Leaving them in an enclosed bed with only the bed window open may overheat them. I would suggest lowering the tailgate at dawn and make sure the entrance is facing outward so they can come and go without issue and get better ventilation.  If they need to stay in there overnight again until you finish the fence to keep bears out, I would close the tailgate up after dark and repeat this as necessary until your fence is up.  When you're ready for placement in the yard, wait until after dark so all the bees have returned home for the night, close the entrance and move the hive into its final place.  Open the entrance after its in place.  You'll likely see lots of orientation flights in the morning as they learn the new hive position.  I'm not sure how attuned they would be after reorienting, but since it's in the immediate area, you may want to move the truck under a covering, put a cover on it, or move it in a garage to avoid confusion of the bees if they see it from the air since they recently used it as reference for home.  I certainly wouldn't park it back in the same place as you may lose bees.  Just some food for thought.  Other's may have better suggestions, but I hope you find this of some help in the meantime.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:06:51 pm »
Never had to deal with bears. They are rare and usually just passing through.

I can tell you that this is the most interesting first-day story I've ever heard. This one is going in my bank of tales. Keep it up, bees fun, bears not so much.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:57 am »
I?d go for the roof top before an enclosed truck bed just due to heat, but that depends on where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:42:21 am »
Shaw,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Rough start.
I have had to deal with bears here. Get the hottest electric fence that you can afford. Once installed, hand 2 pieces of lunch meet on the wire. When the bear tries to take a bite, the jolt will go through his brain and his heart. It will hurt so bad that he will never touch it again. I did this and it worked. I think he also told all of the other bears in the area because they have not returned for 2 years.
When you move the bees put something in front of the hive that blocks the bees flight. Around here we use a palm frond. I recommend you just keep the bees in ther permanent location during the day and close them up with screen at night and move them to the truck during the night. You will lose less field bees this way.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:52 am »
Bee sure to keep a heavy Ratchet strap or two Locked down tight on this hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin