Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussie Native Bee Swarm ID?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Milo

• House Bee
Aussie Native Bee Swarm ID?
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:44:34 am »
Aussie native bee swarm on prickly paperbark November 2015. Northern Victoria near shepparton.

can anyone ID?

Offline Milo

• House Bee
Re: Aussie Native Bee Swarm ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:50:54 am »
another image trying to enlarge to get a closer look

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:10 am »
Hi Milo,

That is pretty cool.  I know very little about native bees I'm ashamed to say, was not entirely sure that they swarmed, well that proves it then.
Were you able to catch in a similar manner to honey bees? Shake,  get the Queen and rest follow?

Cheers,

Aaron

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:29:44 pm »
Hi Aaron - sorry I don't even know if it was a true swarm and at the time I was not going to risk harming them as I hadn't even started on the road to beekeeping so I didn't disturb them.

From what I have read online it may have been a cluster of male native bees?

Offline Barlon

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:43 pm »
I believe their a species of halictid bee, but I can't say for sure but they match up with the halictid bees I found awhile back the only difference are the yellow legs.

I've sadly got very little info to share about halictid bees, but an interesting note only the males cluster like that while the females dig small nests in the ground, so you've likely found yourself a male cluster either getting ready to roost for the night or shelter themselves to keep warm or cool depending on the weather.

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:35:25 am »
Thanks mate that helped!

Seriously it did, got my google-foo on searching for halictid bees which led me to 'the Australian beekeeping manual' and on to Lipotriches/Nomia bees. Don't know exactly but that's close enough.

So a cluster of boys that hung out for around 48hrs

They were approx 8 metres from an earthen drain with clay banks so the habitat would be right for them to build nests. I'll have to have a really good look and see what I can find nearby.

Offline Barlon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:00 am »
I'm sorry I could not give an exact name for the species as there are so many different kinds of halictid bees but I'm glad it helped.

The nests aren't easy to find but a neat trick is to look for the female bee herself and watch where she lands then move closer then wait till she leaves the nest often if you did not spot the nest when she landed you'll notice it when she leaves.

The bees aren't very aggressive and likely won't try sting you unless you provoke them first but just in case move slow when nearby a nest.

anything