Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tools repurposed as Hive Tools?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Milo

• House Bee
Tools repurposed as Hive Tools?
« on: December 18, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
So I'm a tight-'ahem' when it comes to outlaying money and sure 'you get what you pay for' but if I can get away with using something cheep even if it's fugly I'll do so.

Anyway I'm super new to beekeeping but have some stuff on order and was looking around at the hive tools online considering Aussie V American style tools and was baffled by what was available so had yet to order anything.

Today walking through the B shop (B for 'bloody big red hammer') I was looking for some hand tools for work and right next to what I was looking for was the Craftright Wrecking Bars. Well without the claws it would be in shape an American style hive tool, so for the 6 bucks I grabbed it and will cut the claws off and re-sharpen for a 15" hive tool.

What do you guys use or have repurposed for use on your hives?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Tools repurposed as Hive Tools?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 09:51:11 pm »
my tool bucket has everthing from paint scrapers cheap 5inch and 7 inch flat pry bars. large flat head screwdrivers. piano wire with stick handles to cut boxes apart. use what works for you.  no one tool has only one purpose.

john

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:55:25 pm »
I use a putty knife/paint scrapper.  The kind with a little "U" shape in the side of the putty knife.  I think if it wasn't something that I already had laying around that it wouldn't be that much cheaper then buying a hive tool.  I don't think they are very high priced either.  I haven't kept bees for very long and so far the putty knife is doing fine for me.  I am a cheap person and so as long as it works and I can keep track of it, I will keep using it.  I do lay down things and have to look pretty hard to find them pretty often so who knows what the future hive tool will be when I lose this one.
Cheers
gww

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:10:20 am »
Not repurposing but given the need to ID all hive with your registration number here I decided to knock up a quick fire brand this afternoon. All the material came out of my scrap bucket but if I had to purchase it would run to a couple of dollars. Made the letters and numbers 25mm (1") high.
Havent got a oxy set at home but managed to get enough heat into it with a little butane burner to give it a test on a bit of scrap, looks like it will do the job.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:38:57 pm »
build your self a small rocket stove that the brand will fit in. it gets to 1200 degrees f". it will burn twiges and stems.
if you place it near where your working you can brand 5 -6 boxes before reheating.

john

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 03:25:49 pm »
My favorite tool was a small cleaver my kids found on the irrigation ditch bank.  It was like this only slightly shorter:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RUHFIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I filed the end to be sharp so I could pry between the boxes.  Unfortunately it makes a great spatula/cooking knife so it ended up in the kitchen instead...

I like the Italian tools.  They have a nice light weight, a long shaft for good leverage, and a hook that is small enough to fit between the frames.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/tools/m01948-italian-hive-tool
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »
Not repurposing but given the need to ID all hive with your registration number here I decided to knock up a quick fire brand this afternoon.

Nice one! I had been thinking paint or fire and I recon I can get my brother to knock together one like yours for me.

I'll type up what I need, take a screen grab, reverse the image, give it to him and tell my bro I'll be back with the slab of beer when he's done.

And he has a rocket stove for melting metal.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 03:20:52 pm »
Nice one! I had been thinking paint or fire and I recon I can get my brother to knock together one like yours for me.

I made the letters from 19x3 flat welded to a piece of 25x6 with a short length of round bar as a handle. Ran it on a grinding belt when finished to get rid of the rounded edge the 19x3 tends to have and take care of any slight difference in height from my dodgy build.