Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc box ventillation in Australia?  (Read 4817 times)

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
Nuc box ventillation in Australia?
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »
Hi all,

So it's been about 8-9 years since I decided I wanted to keep bees, and it looks like I'll finally have some next weekend - woohoo! Hopefully I'm actually ready :)

While making nuc boxes was something I hoped to do down the track when my bees were thriving, I'm looking at making a couple now anyway. Looking at the plans online got me to thinking that these all-in one Nuc plans seem to seriously lack ventillation. One tiny entrance hole and thats it.

In our warmer climate, especially here in South East Queensland, that would seem inadequate for a hive for any extended length of time, during summer at least. What do people think? Should there be some ventillation added to the standard Nuc plans you see (like the D.Coates plywood plans)?

Thanks.
Russell.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:30:27 pm by SB-Russ »

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Nuc box ventillation in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »
Hi there great news about your soon to arrive Bee's if you were nearby I'd give ya some. Ventilation wise yeah I would give the Nucs some, have a look around Bunnings or similar for those old push in type ventilator for cupboards, or even drill some small holes and cover them with fly wire. Eventually they will be sealed by the Bee's but there easy cleaned.

Cheers
Steve

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »
I spent an hour or so scouring my local Bunnings for some mesh of some type. Aluminium flyscreem was the only thing I could see small enough. I was originally looking for something to make as a screen to close up the Nuc for transport, or entrance reducer. Would like something a bit more solid than flyscreen though, but appropriate material seems hard to find.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »
fly screen should work. the bees can't break thru.

john

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »
You can also get a length of gutter guard which is really strong and cut it to suit,it is of course perforated.

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:39:40 am »
I did look at gutter guard, but the opening looked about 8-10mm in the wire one, and larger in the plastic. Is this not too large? I forgot how small is needed to keep the bees in.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:07:20 am »
Quality Beekeeping Supplies in Brisbane has entrance closers for $4.20 & I think Burnett Beekeeping have them also, they are perforated galvanised metal you just need to cut to length for the Nuc.

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:18 pm »
Yeah, problem is by the time I throw in postage or travel, they're an expensive item. If I could find decent piece of metal locally, I could drill my own holes I suppose. I was thinking of beating out a drink can and making one out of that, if I'm just using a drilled hole for an entrance. Might bend a bit too easy though.

*EDIT*

Hmm, i wonder how long the lid of a tin can would last? Probably rust pretty quick I'm guessing....

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:19 pm »
Have a look at speed bracing or angle bracing. it's available at any hardware or off cuts or bent pieces in the rubbish pile on building sites.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 11:42:01 pm »
... Eventually they will be sealed by the Bee's but there easy cleaned.
Doesn't this go to show the bees don't want the ventilation? I don't think ventilation is all that important. Most wild hives only have an entrance for ventilation, and all the ventilation my bees have is all propolised closed as soon as they can

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 05:19:16 pm »
I'm not sure, hence the question. Problem is a tree offers much more insulation than 12mm of cheap plywood. Otehr factors are that my location is in full sun, so gets hot in summer, plus using it as a transport hive, if it's 100% sealed up while transporting, they will have no ventillation at all for an hour or 2.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 08:00:02 pm »
Good point Russ. I guess providing the ventilation is best and then if they don't want it they'll seal it up

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 02:19:34 am »
Have a look here http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
Towards the bottom - round disks. Works well