Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Other ways of inserting cutout comb into a frame,  (Read 1196 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Other ways of inserting cutout comb into a frame,
« on: January 19, 2024, 01:07:01 am »
I learned to insert cutout comb into an empty frame adding rubber bands for support. Here this person demonstrates how to insert newer comb into an empty frame lined with fishing line for strength wile using twine or string for placement support instead of rubber bands.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FAvViiALR3U?si=FR9ofMx7_t6fE88n
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
Re: Other ways of inserting cutout comb into a frame,
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 10:34:12 am »
Interesting clip. Is that capped honey? Remember, I don't have a hive yet so it's not as obvious to me as it is to yous guys. And if so, wouldn't slitting it like that create a mess?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 11:11:04 am »
That is capped brood.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 12:29:27 pm »
That is capped brood.
OK, thanks! So, what did he do, sacrifice some brood for the operation?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 12:59:58 pm »
That is capped brood.
OK, thanks! So, what did he do, sacrifice some brood for the operation?

Terri when doing a cutout, I for one try to preserve as much brood as possible, when possible. In this case I see the advantage. To answer your question; Yes he did sacrifice some brood in the places where he made the slits for the purpose of inserting he the prepared fishing line within the frame as shown.

The trade off advantage here is taking into consideration newer comb is soft, this procedure will help insure the transferred new comb will stand a much better chance of staying in place, not sagging,  by giving the extras fishing line support, reducing the dreaded sagging of the comb. He also ties twine around the comb to help it stay in place as well. (I have used rubber bands.) This will give the bees a fighting chance vs time to reattach/secure the new comb to the frame itself, hopefully before the catastrophe of drooping/sagging wax happens.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:09:35 pm »
When I do a cutout I never try to save honey.  I never try to save drone brood.  I only try to save about half of the worker brood.  And if the bees can't cover all the brood, I get rid of some more brood.  Also try to keep the brood dry.  If you get honey on it, the brood can't breath and dies.  If that happens the small hive beetles quickly take over.  Make sure you have some open brood and eggs in case they need to replace the queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 03:07:36 pm »
> When I do a cutout I never try to save honey.

Nor do I for obvious reasons. (Unless it is pretty capped honey in that case I will save it for me lol)  :shocked: :grin:

> I never try to save drone brood.

Same here.

> Also try to keep the brood dry.  If you get honey on it, the brood can't breath and dies.

Agreed

> Make sure you have some open brood and eggs in case they need to replace the queen.

For sure.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 08:40:26 am »
Where do you find perfect comb like that in a cut out?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 09:32:42 am »
Wherever the bees might place it.  :wink: