Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: #8 ( 1\8" ) hardware wire...  (Read 4614 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
#8 ( 1\8" ) hardware wire...
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:17:17 am »
I'm having a hard time finding #8 hardware wire.  I've looked at all the large stores..HD, Lowes etc..  Has anyone bought any of this lately..where did you find it..?          Thanks

Steve in SC

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:21 am »
I had trouble finding it, too.  Someone told me Ace Hardware stocked it.  I ended up getting mine from Betterbee.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:40:53 am »
nobody in my area carries it either not even Ace, all they had was 1/4",, I ordered mine from betterbee also but I got number 7...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:27:25 pm »
I get mine from Ace hardware.  Ace has it in their inventory.  I'd ask if it would be possible to special order an entire roll.  There's a lot more uses for it than SBB, triangle escape boards, hive ventilation, and sifter lid (use with canning ring) for sugar shaking bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:55:26 am »
The lumber chains (Lowes, Menards etc.) never seem to have it.  The good hardware stores do.  So does Brushy Mt, Betterbee etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 08:19:49 am »
Thanks fellows...  I called Ace Hardware and they had only 12' of 24" wide #8.  I wanted 36" but I bought all 12' of the 24" wide.  It was $2.29 per ft....seemed alittle pricey...but about the same as product and shipping from Betterbee.   I had looked everywhere except there....appreciate the info..  I can make some top feeders and escape boards now

Steve in SC

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 01:51:33 pm »
The company I work for is a manufacturer and importer of wire & wire cloth.. one of the end sellers you can purchase from  is....  just type in "woven wire cloth" in the search.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:48:02 am »
I checked two Ace Hardware stores in the same town.  One only had #4 by the roll.  The other sold #4, 6, 7, and 8 by the foot both in 24 and 36 inch widths.  It all depends on the franchise owner.

Offline Trevor

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:26:11 pm »
Well, if you go to Lowes and seek out the section that contains the guttering, you'll find these rolls of screening that are sold to keep leaves and other debris out of your gutters.  While it isn't advertised as such, it is number 8 mesh.  Here, as everywhere I assume, it comes in both a plastic and metal varity ... the plastic is somewhat cheaper and is what I bought.  The big problem is, although you get many feet on a roll, the stuff is only five or six inches wide at most.  When making my SBB, I cut several pieces and stapled it to my frame - then I stitched the sections together with fishing line to get it tight.  For many other applications it is plenty large enough - using it with feeders for instance.  I wish I could quote you a price, but I am pretty sure it is six or seven bucks.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 11:33:55 am »
36" is in the Ace catalog and the store can order it for you.  I think the wire from McMaster Carr is a heavier better wire and a little cheaper.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything