Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: property lines and hunting  (Read 13809 times)

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: property lines and hunting
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »
he's 20 months. smokey creek toby was the 2005 mississippi state champion, i found similar breeding on the sire's side to some dog named somebody, something or other tuxedo that i guess is a big deal.  i know he's still not quite old enough to be really finished yet and i think he might not have seen any action from the previous owner.  he rides with me every where i go and we at least hit a park in town almost every day but usually get some woods time at my place but i don't have any squirrel.  thee is a bottom adjacent to my place that has a few fox squirrel in it and i'm going to try to get in there some time this week (lucky i have a great neighbor).  i was going to include a copy of his papers but i don't know how to attach them on here.  ever heard of gill's jack or gill's jill?  they show up a few tmes over 4 generations, i'm guessing they threw (or still throw) good pups since they're in there so much.  also got riverun ruby and riverun j.d. in the mix.  he's brindle with white.  so, all i can tell you is he has some riverun in him.  letters like gr, sq, ch, ch show up here and there but i don't know what they mean.  other names are streak's, williams', boadus', davis', and cochran's.  if you can tell me anything about all that it would be great.
he's smart, he went and pawed his leash when he wanted to go out tonight and i didn't teach him that.  he picks up on words pretty fast.  he figured out that if he acts like he needs to go we go outside and then he just goes into hunt mode.  i've always been a big breed person but this dog is a lot of fun, if he figures it all out i'll definitely get a female or maybe a couple and breed him.  

I have heard of the Riverrun dogs and the Williams and the Streaks they are supposed to be good blood lines. Streak was a cur that was supposed to be one of the best. The gr, sq ch means grand squirrel champion. So he has the makings of a goodun if you hunt him enough. Just like anything else you've got to put the time in it. Good luck with him. The dogs I hunt are out of eastern Ky. Buckley breed dogs.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:06 am »
i have no squirrels on my place but i have a trap set at my house in town.  i'm going to import one or two and let him tree them so i can shoot them out to him.  he uses his nose a lot but if the wind throws something toward him ot if limbs rattle he looks up.  i just need to drop one or two for him.  those buckley dogs are supposed to be good from what i've read.  if you ever want to mix some new blood or get rid of a female let me know.  i'd like to get a couple of females pick the best females and cross them to another male then take the best of those litter and cross them back to bo.  then pick 4 good females from that cross and cross them to a different male then put bo back in until i had 4 o5 consistent females that throw consistent pups.  i think this dog has what it takes but i won't really get to prove it until next august when the pickings are easy.  i expect a few good trees and he'll be on track. 

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »
i have no squirrels on my place but i have a trap set at my house in town.  i'm going to import one or two and let him tree them so i can shoot them out to him.  he uses his nose a lot but if the wind throws something toward him ot if limbs rattle he looks up.  i just need to drop one or two for him.  those buckley dogs are supposed to be good from what i've read.  if you ever want to mix some new blood or get rid of a female let me know.  i'd like to get a couple of females pick the best females and cross them to another male then take the best of those litter and cross them back to bo.  then pick 4 good females from that cross and cross them to a different male then put bo back in until i had 4 o5 consistent females that throw consistent pups.  i think this dog has what it takes but i won't really get to prove it until next august when the pickings are easy.  i expect a few good trees and he'll be on track. 
March is a good time to work a young dog. At least when Maples are blooming young squirrels eat the buds and hang around for young dogs to see. I use a BB gun to get them to timber. Gets pup excited.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46:03 pm »
i talked to a game warden in alabama yesterday and he told me about a new wma a couple of hours from here that is 3500 acres of hardwoods that back up to a lake.  i looked at the map and there are a lot of creek bottoms.  as soon as deer season goes out i'm taking him there.  i need to get him on some easy ones.  i walked him this morning and he could see one across a deep creek from us and he got pretty mouthy and i've never seen him bark at one unless he was on the tree.  i feel like shooting a couple out will get him to stay put and wait for the prize.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:02 am »
I've had deer die on the wrong side of boundaries several times. I've just grabbed them and dragged them back. If it was convenient to ask first, I would. Last season a kid trailed a deer onto my property. I helped him find it.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »
I've had deer die on the wrong side of boundaries several times. I've just grabbed them and dragged them back. If it was convenient to ask first, I would. Last season a kid trailed a deer onto my property. I helped him find it.

well, i hunt a little over 40 acres and one neighbor surrounds me on two sides and i have road front on the other two.  georgia requires me to hunt at least 150 feet off the roads and a few acres are dedicated to my buildings.  realistically i hunt 20 acres and am pretty close to property lines.  i've shot two deer and one died in it's tracks and the other didn't go 30 yards.  it hasn't been an issue.  i've told my neighbor he can track one on my place if he needs to and he's told me the same.  but, for safety reasons and out of respect i'd text him if i needed to.  again, this is georgia so there is no real excuse for a adult to shoot a deer so poorly that they should have to track it.  if one of my other neighbors came to me and said that they shot a deer and it ran onto my place i'd get my tractor and throw it in the front end loader so they wouldn't have to drag it.  if i walked up on them stomping around on my place i can only say that we had better find a deer and we are going to be having a talk about safety and respect while we're looking.  

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »
the question reminds me of a story.
There was a New York attorney hunting birds in Wyoming.  As one flushed he shot it, but watched helplessly as the bird flew over a fence clearly marked “NO Trespassing” and landed, dead, only 20 yards inside a farmer’s field.  The thought only a minute and headed to the fence.  As he started to climb the fence the old farmer drove up in is 1983 Ford pickup, and asked just what that man thought he was doing climbing the fence right next to the “NO Trespassing” sign. 
The lawyer explained that the law of the hunt clearly allowed him to recover any game animal he shot, if it was not shot while he was trespassing.
The old farmer said he wasn’t to sure about what the law was back east, but out in the west “ We use the two kick rule to settle these disagreements.” 
“What is that?” asked the attorney. 
“Well,” the farmer explained, “I kick you twice, then you kick me twice, and so on. . . until one of us gives up.  That way we know which one really deserves to get his way.”
The lawyer looked over the old man, realized he was much younger, in seeming better shape, and really wanted that beautiful pheasant he had shot . . . “Deal!”
The farmer kicked the lawyer right between the legs.  The pain was terrible, he could hardly breath.  Thoughts of revenge took root in his mind.  The second blow came to his chin, as he was bent over recovering from the first kick, knocking him to the ground in a burst of stars.  As he stood all he could think about was it was his turn, ad he would show this old hillbilly what a mules kick would feel like.

“Ahhh! You win, take the stupid bird.”  He climbed into the truck and drove away.

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:56:25 pm »
If it were me...and I was going to hunt some land I owned or had permission to hunt, I think I would meet the surrounding landowners before the season starts and get these kind of questions worked out ahead of time. I feel sure if you give permission to the neighbors it's OK to retrieve game without hassle on your land, they will do likewise. That's what good neighbors do for each other.
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 01:49:56 am »
If it were me...and I was going to hunt some land I owned or had permission to hunt, I think I would meet the surrounding landowners before the season starts and get these kind of questions worked out ahead of time. I feel sure if you give permission to the neighbors it's OK to retrieve game without hassle on your land, they will do likewise. That's what good neighbors do for each other.

yeah, that's the sensible way of handling it.  just text me to make sure i'm not hunting near where you want to enter.  if i am i may say wait until i climb down and i'll help.  if i'm not i'll be aware of where you are if i decide to make a shot on something.  common courtesy.

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 09:49:44 pm »
i would talk to the land owner no matter what the law states, if anything it gives a positive outlook for hunters, maybe even give other places to hunt that you couldn't before.  :-D

Offline jwdeeming

• Brood
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »
In Colorado you have to have permission first for game retrieval.  And while you can ask a wildlife officer or local law enforcement to try to help with an uncooperative landowner, they can't be forced to let you have or retrieve an animal.  Also, in the ignorance is not innocent category, it is the hunter's responsibility to know where they are.  Private land does not have to be fenced or posted.