Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brrrr, its cold  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Brrrr, its cold
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »
To reduce the amount of space the bees need to keep warm and protect.
I have para-moth for the stored drawn comb.
They don't keep the space warm and they don't have to protect it in the winter months.  Your only issue with an empty box below the cluster is mice which can be prevented with a mouse guard.  You should be using mouse guards in your area.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 05:25:27 pm »
There was a frost in Ukraine, I wanted to connect bees. So that they did not notice me, he put on a camouflage hat. But it did not help  :cheesy: humor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efh3bvssUBw           

В Украине было холодно в ноябре, я хотел соединить слабые пчелосемьи. Чтобы они меня не заметили, надел маскировочную шапку. Но это не помогло )))

Вибачте, що нічого не допомогло. . Вам повинно було бути добре в листопаді, але я не знайомий ні з вашими погодними умовами в Україні. Бажаю, щоб я міг допомогти більше. Можливо, може допомогти більше?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 05:32:42 pm »
Camouflage hat for bee protection... :shocked: :grin:

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 05:35:54 pm »

Вибачте, що нічого не допомогло. . Вам повинно було бути добре в листопаді, але я не знайомий ні з вашими погодними умовами в Україні. Бажаю, щоб я міг допомогти більше. Можливо, може допомогти більше?
Ok i will make a video with english subtitles

BAHBEEs , Yes  :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 05:47:43 pm »
Camouflage hat for bee protection... :shocked: :grin:

So much for you being able to understand perfectly.   :wink: lol j/k
What he said is
It was cold in Ukraine in November, I wanted to connect the weak bee families. So that they did not notice me, put on a masking hat. But it did not help)))
 (He got stung  anyway)  :grin:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:06:15 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 06:11:27 pm »
Dimas, I very much appreciate you and your videos. I am subscribing to your channel. I have learned much from fellow beekeepers from you area of the world. Ana Kara is another YouTuber from your area that I have learned much. He and his daughter make videos together. Though his accent is still strong from the home country, I am now very able to understand his broken English. I look forward to learning and sharing with you as well. Again welcome,
Phillip Hall

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 09:04:29 pm »
They don't keep the space warm and they don't have to protect it in the winter months.  Your only issue with an empty box below the cluster is mice which can be prevented with a mouse guard.  You should be using mouse guards in your area.
I truly appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

I have read conflicting thoughts on this.Some suggest that if there is not a bee on every square inch that the excess boxes should be removed.

Conversely, I have read that it is useful to have dead air space below the hive. Well an unoccupied box seems to qualify as dead air space to me.
A local master beekeeper from my club told me to remove the box if it did not have any bees in it.

The lower entrance is set to the smallest opening and I am inclined to close it entirely (per Mr. Bush's approach). I know mice are quite the gymnasts and escape artists but I think the small upper entrance is too small for them. 7/8 by 5/16 inches. Let me know if those rascals can still get in. I do have a mouse guard that I can install. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/10-frame-mouse-guard I could slip the horizontal tab between the top super and the shim to seal the upper entrance or screw it to the face of the hive and give the bees a ledge to land on , fan on, etc. I also have 1/8 hardware cloth on hand.
Tom

Offline Dimas

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 01:53:43 am »

Conversely, I have read that it is useful to have dead air space below the hive. Well an unoccupied box seems to qualify as dead air space to me.
A local master beekeeper from my club told me to remove the box if it did not have any bees in it.

We also have many put empty super. I do not bet. All frames must be covered by bees.

На русском языке: У нас тоже многие ставят пустые корпуса под низ улья для лучшего воздухообмена. И дно из сетки. Я раньше ставил, сейчас - нет. Нет никакой разницы в нашей местности. От мышей защита - обязательна, на летки ставлю заградители.

Ben Framed , Thank you!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 02:07:34 am »

We also have many put empty super. I do not bet. All frames must be covered by bees.

На русском языке: У нас тоже многие ставят пустые корпуса под низ улья для лучшего воздухообмена. И дно из сетки. Я раньше ставил, сейчас - нет. Нет никакой разницы в нашей местности. От мышей защита - обязательна, на летки ставлю заградители.

Ben Framed , Thank you!

You are more than welcome.. :smile:  :grin:

anything