Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you capture swarms solo?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
Do you capture swarms solo?
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:26:43 am »
Do some differing beekeeping opinions have you catching them solo?
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Do you capture swarms solo?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:11:12 pm »
I have caught many Swarms by myself and its just fine. Its more fun and easier with a mate like most things.(Drinking Beer, getting firewood and fishing)  An extra set of hands and someone holding the old ladder or even laughing at you when 10000 Bee's fall off a branch and your covered head to toe in bee's.

Cheers
Steve

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:11:47 pm »
I have caught many Swarms by myself and its just fine. Its more fun and easier with a mate like most things.(Drinking Beer, getting firewood and fishing)  An extra set of hands and someone holding the old ladder or even laughing at you when 10000 Bee's fall off a branch and your covered head to toe in bee's.

I have to agree.  In a pinch I'll catch one solo, but I prefer to have a buddy along to help, or even better to teach a new beekeeper how to catch a swarm.  I think it's more fun for them to start their first hive with a swarm they helped to catch!
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
swarms are the easy ones to get. I get the by myself mostly right after work. just before dark. just shake and then wait and go. try to get new beeks to go to have fun watching bystanders reactions to picking up a hand full of bees with your bare hands. they go crazy. then I tach them how swarms function.

anything