Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overnight Guests  (Read 1092 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Overnight Guests
« on: April 01, 2020, 09:30:12 pm »
It was really warm here earlier in the week, and I put a screened inner cover on my biggest hive, since that is what I normally use here over the summer.  Well I jumped the gun, and noticed late this afternoon that it's going down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit tonight.  I figured I'd better go put a solid inner cover on this hive, since it's going to be so cold, so I went out there and switched out the covers quick.  There were quite a few bees on the screened cover, so I tapped it off on the landing board so the bees could go back into the hive.  But it was already too cold, and the bees froze up right away, and couldn't even walk into the entrance!   :sad:  I felt bad just leaving all of them on the landing board to freeze overnight, so I threw them in my sugar roll jar and brought them in the house and put some honey on the mesh for them.  I'll release them up near the hive tomorrow, but they'll have to spend the night inside with us.  When I brought them in and they were still cold, my little sisters felt bad for them and snuggled the jar between them on the sofa to help warm them back up!  :grin:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Overnight Guests
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:38 pm »
Very thoughtful of you.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:45:57 pm »
I have left small hives with DSBB and top screen and no quilt, they made it just fine.  This was an oversight.  If it is going to get really cold for NE Texas, I put 1/2 inch insulation board in bottom and top screen with quilt, or actually shavings and/or sawdust., We did not have much cold this winter, so I got lucky.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 09:33:38 am »
I am not sure why you changed the inner cover there really is no need.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:20:35 am »
I am not sure why you changed the inner cover there really is no need.
I have left small hives with DSBB and top screen and no quilt, they made it just fine.  This was an oversight.  If it is going to get really cold for NE Texas, I put 1/2 inch insulation board in bottom and top screen with quilt, or actually shavings and/or sawdust., We did not have much cold this winter, so I got lucky.

They probably would have been fine, but this hive has been doing so well coming off the winter, I didn't want to take any chances.  We had a very mild winter here too, so I figured that once it warmed up it would stay warm, but obviously the weather didn't agree.  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything