Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watching the sun come up over duck decoys.  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Watching the sun come up over duck decoys.
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:18:04 pm »
It was a bluebird morning spent with convivial company and I assume the ducks wings whistled like they used to when I could hear them as they circled the decoys.  I am happy to report that my side by side functioned perfectly every time I actuated it.  One poor gadwall immature drake was unfortunate and was actually in the random spray of shot I spewed forth in an apparently to whom it may concern manner.  I just feel sorry for all those greenheads that flew away with their hearts shot clear out.   I am fortunate enough to be able to go try again tomorrow morning.  Life is good.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Watching the sun come up over duck decoys.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »
Yep, nothing like watching a bunch of ducks scope out a spread and decide to join the party.  It has been 30 years since I hunted ducks, but the memory is pure gold.  When I moved back to Texas, I put away my long guns except when I can go elk hunting in Colorado.  Texas land is mostly private and, therefore, leased for hunting at a high-dollar rate.  I guess that's just an excuse, but it's the only one I have.  Enjoy the hunt, bro.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »
Somewhere with the funerals, sick wife and dad in hospice I got about 2 months behind this year on everything. This is the second year for me to buy an elk tag and not get out (I used to live for that) and for some reason missing the duck opener really bothered me this year. I think it is seeing a trend.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:00 am »
Minz my condolences.  I usually don't start hunting ducks til after Thanksgiving when they have no pin feathers and all the amateurs  are off hunting deer and elk.  This is the first opener I have hunted in many years and I have already gone two more times.  I did not draw an antelope tag and wapiti is the sound of an elk hunter beating his head on a tree cause he can't find an elk.   Wapiti Wapity Wapiti.  I plan to hunt ducks a lot this year.

anything