Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late to requeen a queenless hive?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Erich

• New Bee
Too late to requeen a queenless hive?
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:58:37 am »
  I have recently discovered I have a queenless hive here in eastern Washington. No brood, fair stores and low population. I did not find indication of laying worker.  I'm not sure if it's too late to install a new queen. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Too late to requeen a queenless hive?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:13:53 pm »
  I have recently discovered I have a queenless hive here in eastern Washington. No brood, fair stores and low population. I did not find indication of laying worker.  I'm not sure if it's too late to install a new queen.

How many frames of bees would you estimate that are still present? How many vibrant hives do you have? Is it your plan to introduce a mated queen or other?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 09:09:21 pm »
1. Right away, pull all frames the bees aren't covering or are patrolling too thinly.  Put them in the freezer to save them.

Do this very early morning. You may have a lot of foragers in the field, it will give you a better idea on how many bees there are.  They will be calm.

2. Check to see if brood nest (A) has empty "polished" cells or is (B) backfilled with nectar. 

If (A), wait 5 days.  They may have superceded the queen and she isn't laying yet.

If (B) go get a queen, IMHO.  If I have a colony on 5 full frames, it's worth rebooting.

Or if (B) then (C) get a frame of eggs from a friend and take a gamble for a month to requeen.  I'm down south and I just had a colony use up 1/2 fat frame of honey !! to make 1/2 frame of drones !!  They were emerging Aug 20.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:41 pm »
Do you have a nuc or can you get a nuc of bees to add to this hive?

Offline Erich

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 11:40:24 am »
Very sorry for the late reply and thank you for suggestions. I have reduced them down to one box and introduced a mated queen. I am monitoring and will see how things go. I didn't observe high mite infestation but not many bees to get a good idea. Again, thank you all.