Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching Business Cards  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Re: Swarm Catching Business Cards
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:21 am »
For my cut out, the client was a long time client of my husband's.  She knew that we know bees and that afterward Eric would be doing the repair and doing it right and respecting her house.   I didn't tell her that it was our first cut out - I was too busy explaining how bee colonies work.   She was concerned they'd make another queen and move back in.   

Make sure you take a water/honey-proof  tarp or sheet of plastic for the floor.

After I cleared the comb, I had to stick my head back in there and figure out how they were getting in.   Then we had to decide how to seal it up both on the inside of the house and the outside.   And then I had to do it.   It took a few cans of sprayfoam to seal everything up, which I had to do in the space between joists with my head, a flashlight and the can of foam all up there at the same time.   It was easy to tell when it was really sealed because the bees stopped coming back in through there.

Exciting.   

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:47 am »
I prefer to pack the hollow area with insulation and not worry about them getting back in. A 1/4 inch hole is all you need to miss for another swarm to move in. It will not move in if there is not enough open space to build the comb.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline DJS

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:10 am »
I do about 30 cutouts a year to help support my hobby of beekeeping. What I have learned is to be ready for anything they bees are not always where you think they should be.  I agree that a bee vac is very handy on most removals, and also found that a Boar Scoop camera can be useful.  Last year I had access to a thermal imagine camera and that came in handy of a several jobs. 

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:29 am »
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice! The tarp is a great idea too Robin! Yesterday my husband was heading to Helena so I texted him and asked him to pick me up a cheap shop vac so I could build a bee vac. He texted me back that he has several and I can have one. Yay. :)  A few hours later he stopped by my work so I asked him, if I get him instructions, will he build the bee vac for me? LOL He just lauged and laughed and said he knew that was coming. lol

If you're doing a cut-out, is the agreement totally verbal with a hand shake or do you make the homeowner sign something? I obviously don't have any insurance or anything.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »
Some do have contracts, I don't.
Number one rule. Don't hesitate to walk away if something doesn't feel right.
If I feel like I need a contract with a particular homeowner, I refuse to do the job.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 12:23:19 pm »
+1 with idee statement......there are some "interesting" people out there...probably less so in your area than is some of the more urban areas. But yes dont be afraid to walk away from jobs that look too big...but also dont be afraid to come up with new and interesting ways to "skin a cat"...I have a recent friendship with a contractor down here in the keys who is fascinated with the idea of being close to bees....he is itching to come along on my next cutout....gets him work if he can quote the "put it back together cost" to the homeowner and helps me with a second set of hands and a chance to learn the best way to cut out with the least damage :-)

win win win  for all three parties involved ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
One caution, KLB.

I have a couple contractor friends that do cutouts. None of us will take the cutout job AND the repair. There is always a good chance of a new swarm moving in, no matter the precaution taken. If one person does both, it is their fault in the homeowner's eyes, and they expect the second job to be free. After all, you didn't do it right the first time.

If a beek removes them, and a contractor repairs, the beek says, "I'm no contractor. It's not my fault it didn't get sealed."

The contractor says, "I'm no beekeeper. I can't remove them."

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 04:22:56 pm »
Iddee, somehow that sounds like the government.  Or maybe a lawyer at work. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »
40 years of removals, I've never been asked to do a repeat for free. IT WORKS!   :cool:   :grin:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:45 am »
Understood Idee...."beeproofing" beyond a 1 year guarantee of "same hive entrance  location" is the responsibility of the homeowner and the scenario you outlined has already been discussed and planned for ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »
Interesting! I learn a lot just by you guys talking.  :smile: Jim, believe me, out here, we have our own special kind of stupid. lol  :wink:

So...say someone calls you and you get there and the honeybees turn out to be wasps or hornets. What do you all generally do then? How WOULD one remove wasps or hornets if they asked you to?
GO BEES!

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:45 pm »
If you're licensed as a pest control company, you kill them.  If not, you walk away or you are violating the law and could be cited and fined.  Honey bee removal is an exception to pest control laws.  But it's a little unclear to me if you could exterminate honey bees if the property owner asked that of you.  I suspect not, since you would then be performing pest control services in violation of the law.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »
There are also websites you can point people to so they can verify what they are looking at.  I always ask for pictures before I make the trip; but even those can be deceptive.  Some people have a minimum trip charge to help dissuade unnecessary calls.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »
Interesting! I learn a lot just by you guys talking.  :smile: Jim, believe me, out here, we have our own special kind of stupid. lol  :wink:

So...say someone calls you and you get there and the honeybees turn out to be wasps or hornets. What do you all generally do then? How WOULD one remove wasps or hornets if they asked you to?
Here in FL you don,t, as Dallas said it is illegal. It may bee different where you are.
One way to stop the trip before hand is to ask them to send you a picture. Also ask them what they sprayed them with. Do not ask if they sprayed them, they will say nothing. When you ask what, they usually answer you. If they did spray them do not bother with them. Tell them the hive will be dead soon and the honey will start flowing soon, into their house. If they still want you to remove them charge them double.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 12:44:07 am »
I did not know it would be illegal to remove anything but honeybees. Great tips! Thanks!
GO BEES!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 07:17:50 am »
It's not illegal to move them. It's illegal to dispense poisons. It's also illegal to kill them. If you want to catch a nest of hornets alive, you can, as long as you don't charge for it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 08:36:42 am »
And they will be such a nice and cuddly addition to your bee yard ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:19 am »
It's not illegal to move them. It's illegal to dispense poisons. It's also illegal to kill them. If you want to catch a nest of hornets alive, you can, as long as you don't charge for it.

Ah. Ok. I'm just thinking about the guy at work that says he has bees in his kids' playhouse outside. I'm learning that not too many people know the difference between bees and wasps or hornets.

I really do not want them! lol
GO BEES!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 10:09:42 am »
I have taken honeybees out of outside playhouses and slides, so you may want to confirm what they are.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 11:12:18 am »
Oh I definitely will!
GO BEES!

anything