Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Owl Box Cutout Part Two - the Propolis Plug from Hell  (Read 2780 times)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
Owl Box Cutout Part Two - the Propolis Plug from Hell
« on: January 31, 2016, 04:36:45 pm »
This thing is HUGE  :cool:

Posted a video of this thing at the following link https://youtu.be/4FJSgqlcsjY
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:55:45 pm by KeyLargoBees »
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Owl Box Cutout Part Two - the Propolis Plug from Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:54:58 pm »
Now you know why I'm always yelling about beeks over ventilating hives.

THE BEES DON'T WANT IT.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline DJS

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:51 am »
I did one last year like that and have one setting in back yard waiting on spring to cut it out.  Going to save the wood to use in swarm traps. 

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »
Now you know why I'm always yelling about beeks over ventilating hives.

THE BEES DON'T WANT IT.

Iddee, I've missed those over-ventilating rants of yours I guess. lol How do you best ventilate hives, iyo? Any links to some previous discussions?
For myself, I don't think they need that much ventilation. I've read about people drilling 4, 6, 8 vent holes. I think that's ridiculous. I wish I were an engineer though so I'd know more about air flow. lol

Nice propolis Jeff! Do you make tinctures or anything? Or are you going to keep it as is cuz it's so cool? Great video! Thanks for sharing. That thing really is huge!
When I look through my top entrance, it looks to me like they've propolised the most front of the top frames. Like a thin layer just over the top. Can't wait to really see what it looks like. My bottom entrance is set on the 4" opening with cork taking up the rest of the space to cut it down to a one bee entrance. When I first put the hive on, I had put some push pins behind where I wanted the entrance reducer to stay because it kept sliding all the way in. Anyway, the small entrance part ended up being pushed out on the top by about 1-2mm. It's allowed for a little extra ventilation which they've been using. They had it open in the summer and then sealed it about Nov. Just recently, they've removed the propolis again. lol funny bees

I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
The most opening I ever have is full width bottom entrance. I may have a top entrance in summer when using more than one super for honey, but it is for traffic flow, not ventilation. Then if they close it, I leave it closed until they decide to open it.

DISCLAIMER>>>>>  Montana and other northern climates may require a different procedure.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
Yes. I never even opened my bottom entrance wide open all summer.They would not have liked that. It still gets very cold at night even in the summer. They really like their top entrance this winter though.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

anything