Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Queensland  (Read 144393 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #620 on: October 11, 2021, 12:48:31 am »
Thanks, Philip, for your kind and reassuring words.

I'm retired form ( Mechanical and Civil Engineering Design and running our own business for about 40 years)

I have always been interested in bees. Growing up in Switzerland  beekeeping as a hobby was out of reach for a pretty poor family.

A few years after migrating to Australia I was introduced to bees by a near neighbour. That is 46 years ago.

These days bees take up a big part of my time ( other then family, gardening and cattle - and fishing form time to time.)

I live in a rather ideal area for all year  beekeeping ( Google "Crystal Waters, Conondale") - if the weather is too cool or too wet there is plenty to do in the beehouse.

Keep well

max

Thanks you Max....   :happy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #621 on: October 11, 2021, 07:59:20 pm »
12.October 2021 - the Jaboticabas are out in full glory. last year they flowered on the 6. October.
We had 37mm of rain overnight - about 11/2 inches - the best for a long while.

It is just misty type of rain now and the bees are still working the flowers.

I sold the first nuc for the season - a busy time for a couple of months.
I stop making  splits before Christmas  as the SHB numbers tend to increase around that time.
I hardly saw any SHB a couple of weeks ago but with the rain the beetles also are getting active

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #622 on: October 13, 2021, 06:47:32 pm »
Sounds positive Max.
Thanks for keeping us up to date and keeping this (your) thread alive!
Cheers
Adam.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #623 on: October 21, 2021, 03:54:40 am »
I checked on quite a few nuc's today.
They are generally doing very well. Two of them appear not to have made a queen - I will get a queen for them or give them another brood frame with eggs. Most of the time they will catch up.

There is honey in the hives. The Blue Gum is powering on and so is the Clover. It is a rare occassion when the two combine in the same year and I better make the best of it while the going is good.

We are getting good rain too - mostly in the afternoon or evening when the bees had their fill.
Other areas - not far from here had some bad hail. Not what we want.

The Pecan's are nearly finished flowering . All looking positive at this point but....you never know what the next days bring

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #624 on: October 21, 2021, 09:11:33 pm »
22. 10.21 - just back from one of my yards...adding supers.

The Euc torreliana is flowering - not like last year but the bees love it.
Also along the road are a lot of BlackBerries. They are seen as a weed here and they are a mass of flowers. Lucky for us ( and our bees) the local governmnet would rarely drive up this narrow dirt road and are not aware of the plants.Otherwise I assume they would spray them.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #625 on: October 28, 2021, 10:01:23 am »
28. 10. 21 - the Lily Pillies are flowering.

I took honey off the Cooks  yard - a lot of clover in this lot - very floral and magnificant.

"Everything"  seems to be flowering. We had excellent conditions. After 3 months of very little rain we had good, steady rain here. No hail, no bad storms.
More rain is on the way and the issue is finding a gap in the weather to take honey off.
You can follow the weather by Googling "maleny 4552, Queensland" the closest stations to us.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #626 on: November 04, 2021, 02:00:49 pm »
There is a Leptospermum flowering around the River - no idea about the details. The honey from these tress is generally dark - closely related to " Manuka" honey. Medicinal qualities but I would need to have it tested.

We have been extremly busy taking honey off and yesterday I made 12 nuc's - all with Joe Horner genetics - most from amazingly strong hives.

Pretty well everything is flowering here. Some of the best conditions I have seen for many years.
There is more rain predicted for next week  and I wonder if this will be enough to kick the Brushbox along?

On many of my hives I use to make splits from I keep just a 1/2 super. I extracted the honey on the 28. October and some had been filled by yesterday.

On the other hand I find it difficult to source Hoop Pine ( the preferred timber for supers and frames here) and wax foundation. I hear that a lot of our wax is sold to the USA for cosmetic purposes?

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #627 on: November 11, 2021, 05:51:40 pm »
We had 80mm of rain in the last 24hrs( just over 3inches) and about and inch twice in previous days.
The sun should be out tomorrow and for a few days.

It is the best rain we had for a long time and it will give the forests around here the soak they need.

In the short term it will keep the Clover going and with some luck the Brushbox will kick in.
In the longer term it should just about keep us going till winter.

I hear the Grey Gum and Tallowwodd are flowering on the range.

I have bees in a yard which would access this area.

Looking positive at this stage.
Further out west the Paroo River is in flood and migratory beeks will have their hearts beating faster!

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #628 on: November 13, 2021, 03:45:47 pm »
Sounds like a bumper year for you Max!

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #629 on: November 17, 2021, 03:50:14 am »
I had some cancelation for nuc's.
Is it permitted to advertise gear on this forum?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #630 on: November 17, 2021, 07:45:03 am »
MaxCheck out the Trading Post Section. Other members have posted of similar scenarios there. For example:

Offline Quernon
Brood
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Buckfast Nuc For Sale, Manchester, UK
? on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:05 pm ?
QuoteModifyRemove
I have an overwintered Nuc for sale. I kept it from a split last year in case one of my hives didn't survive the winter. They've all made it through so I'm looking to sell it on.

It's a Payne's type poly nuc with a built in feeder. I've taped the feeder off to stop the bees getting in there and building burr comb but it can easily be opened up again if they need feeding. Treated with Apivar in Autumn last year.

The Queen is the daughter of a Buckfast queen bought from the Beeman. They've always seemed very calm on the comb and have been good foragers for me.

Please PM me if you're interested. I'm looking for around GBP120.

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:02:02 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #631 on: November 17, 2021, 11:13:43 pm »
Thanks - I will have a look

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #632 on: November 23, 2021, 04:45:28 pm »
The Tipuanas and Mexican Tree ferns ( not a fern at all) are flowering.
So are the tallow wood, Grey Gum...

We had not much sun here of late - plenty of rain and more on the way.
I have a workshop organised for this Saturday but it looks like I have to cancel.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #633 on: December 04, 2021, 06:39:39 am »
We had a spell from the rain and had a chance to take some honey off.

The SHB 's also are picking up and I had a slime out. They can happen so quickly. Why are they often taking down the strongest hive?

Some of the trees are coming to an end of the flowering period.
The Waterhousia is easing off and I would expect that the Grey Gum too is coming to the end of the season.

Further afield ...the Paroo Rover is in flood and so are some of the tributries to the Murrey system - it will be good in a few years for the migratoey beekeepers.
I hear from Kingaroy that the Iron bark is budding.
Fun to be had if you don't mind travelling

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #634 on: December 13, 2021, 01:17:36 am »
The Angophoras are about to come out - budding heavily.https://ne-np.facebook.com/TheCrankyBeeHoney/videos/the-angophora-costata-is-flowering-and-the-bees-are-mostly-just-collecting-polle/684979419113899/

I always belived that the bees will get nectar of these trees - I have to do some more research.

We have been taking a lot of honey off while the sun has been out.

I think I will give COMB HONEY a go while we have such a good flow on.
I think I handle the production of it but the packaging is not so simple. Some suggestions seem complicated and expensive

A hear that all of Queensland is out of draught. This would be the first time for many years.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #635 on: December 20, 2021, 07:10:42 am »
We took more honey off today - a very hot day and I was done by late afternoon. Not as young as i used to be.

Taking honey off 13 hives I don't think I saw more then a handfull of SHB. Not sure what the reason is but not complaining.
I saw a large , black beetle and should have had a better look but instict is to sqush them. Maybe just and over-sized SHB?

I'm trying my hand at some comb honey. I have to find a system which works into my routine. We will learn. good to do something new.
The nuc's are moving fast - Christmas time and the people are geting FLOW hives.
A bit of eductaion required.
One fellow wanted to pick up the nuc at 11 AM - not a good idea. They will learns and I'm more than willing to give them and intro.

The Jo Horner genetics are a winner.

There is definitely a difference bettween a good hive and an amazing one.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #636 on: December 29, 2021, 04:08:01 am »
Well, we took more honey off. The weather is very iffy - looks like rain...a bit of sunshine...you never know. Just a very light drizzle  which did not stop me.

The hives I'm taking honey off have a FD brood box, a Queen Excluder and a 1/2 deep box.

These are hives I use to make splits form.

I can lift a 1/2 supper even if full of honey.
I can't do this with  FD super anymore. Age, Bursitis, bad back...lack of muscles.

I took honey off 3 weeks ago and they where full of honey, all capped.

I'm at a loss as to what is flowering?

The Lemonscented teatree is flowering but this honey is form some Eucalypt flow.

I have to talk to saome mates, check on some books... I can see flowering trees in the distance.

I would like to take more honey off but the rain is again on the way.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #637 on: January 08, 2022, 05:25:01 pm »
It has been raining here -I mean RAINING!!

We received about 150mm but places just 11/2 hrs north from here had 650mm! This is 26inches! In 24hrs

The bees are flying this morning.

The Lemon Myrtle is out in it's full glory.

Lemon Myrtle is not very common but for reasons I can't explain the flowers seem to hive the honey of the season a touch of lemon flavour.

We are in peak summer and this is also peak wet season.

We have not had a good wet for far too long.

Eucalyptus trees, were most of out lovely comes from, need a good, deep soak to bud and then flower.

Old timers will tell you that the benefot of good rain are felt 6 months later.

There is more rain on the way. We are just having a short respite. Definitely a good soak this year.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #638 on: January 16, 2022, 09:30:02 pm »
Something is flowering in the hills here - there is still a flow on and we are taking honey off.

Up on the range I'm told the beebusiness is slow - nothing coming in. They had a lot of Privet but Privet honey is far from delicious. It has a bitter taste and I wonder how keeprs deal with it.

I'm pretty well stocked.
Covid 19 and the implications have resulted in slow deliveries of everything form Jars to labels - patients and stay safe.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #639 on: February 05, 2022, 09:40:08 pm »
Lots of days with regular shower - a challenge to get any beework done.

As soon as the sun is out for even a short time, the bees are busy.

We have a weed here over many, many acres - I'm talking hundreds if not more - which is know as " Cobblers Pegs" or " farmer's friend " as it sticks you you.

Bees love it for the nectar and the pollen.

Unlike our Eucalypts which produce most of the pollen and nectar at night, "Cobblers pegs" are out and producing in no time.
They produce a lovely honey too.

This is the time for the Bloodwoods to flower.

I quite like the honey we get from them but it is not without risk as the honey can have a high moisture content and can fernment easily.

It produces a lovely lloking, deep red coloured honey.

I hear that beekeepers on the range are not getting any honey right now.

Our valley location seems to have always something flowering, even if there is no surplus we rarely have to feed our bees.

anything