Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My moment of fame and it is thrilling  (Read 4568 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Re: My moment of fame and it is thrilling
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »
Nice work!!!  Glad to hear of your success.  Wish for you that it continues!!!
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:03 am »
Thanks once again.

I need to keep experimenting and coming up with new products.  This is a very fickle business, as most of you women would know.  People just want new and different things. Even I get tired of the same stuff and want new things.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 01:07:23 am »
I don't know Annette, sometimes if it ain't broke it don't need fixing, know whadda mean?

Sometimes the k.i.s.s. philosophy goes a long way. It may be that its just starting to feel really repetitive to you making the same products over and again, but IMO, they are great products, that should continue to sell for a long time to come.

Besides, they taste sooooo good!

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 01:15:28 am »
I don't know Annette, sometimes if it ain't broke it don't need fixing, know whadda mean?

Sometimes the k.i.s.s. philosophy goes a long way. It may be that its just starting to feel really repetitive to you making the same products over and again, but IMO, they are great products, that should continue to sell for a long time to come.

Besides, they taste sooooo good!

...JP ;)

No I am not going to change the products that are working. I will keep making my tried and true products, but in my mind the creative process keeps working and I also have a desire to try some new things. This is how I became better and better.  The hand creams I started with are very different from what I make now because I kept trying new things until I found the final products I like.

I just have so many things swimming around in my head that I want to make. But I am moving very very slowly with it all, mostly because it is so expensive for the ingredients.

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 08:41:39 am »
Great Job Annette

That is a beautiful package. I am so happy for you and I know how you feel, I sell a few product as well. It is a good feeling to know something you made yourself is of value to others (Not just money value) but real helpful value. Keep on keeping on girl!!!!!! May you have much success.

green
Believe!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:11 am »
Oh Annette  :).  I am so proud of what you are doing, I was thrilled when I read this thread.  I know that when your Hubby was away, you set up your kitchen and went to work, you had that time where he wasn't around to get you to make food and stuff for him, smiling.  You took that time to hone your skills, and now your work shines forth, yay for you, girl.  Your products are nothing short of wonderful, I love the stuff I got from you, and now.....I have some of the firstly  made products that the world-renounced and famous Annette has created, with her own little hands  :lol: 8-) :) :) :).  You go girl, have fun with this thing, it is cool.  Have that most wonderful day, the life to go with it, and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 10:38:16 am »
I have some of the firstly  made products that the world-renounced and famous Annette has created, with her own little hands  :lol: 8-) :) :) :).  
Cindi
LOL. You and your spelling Cindi. :D
I think the phrase you were looking for is world-renowned. I hardly think these will be renounced (rejected) by anyone, much less everyone. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 10:41:36 am »
Vibe, hee, hee, you made me smile.  You caught me, and thanks for that, of course, renowned, I was just so excited for Annette, hee, hee, and that bigger smile.  Have that wonderful, most beautiful day, gotta love and it it, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:42 am »
I know this is an old one, but Annette your packaging is adorable!! Just very striking. It would definitely make me stop to take another look.

I started lip balms this summer and now am learning to make soaps with beeswax and honey in them, so this whole marketing "other products from the hive" is very fascinating to me right now. Way to go!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 11:09:36 am »
So, how did you do with sales?  Hope you did great. :bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »
How do you know so much about my town??

i am from your neighborhood.  at least as much as i am from anywhere.  i always liked placerville.  somewhere not so far is a cornish pasty place and coffee roaster. 

Do they wear a lot of pasties in Cornwall?  I need to get out into the world more. :evil: 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »
So, how did you do with sales?  Hope you did great. :bee: :bee: :bee:

I cannot tell a lie, they sold very, very slowly. I think the store priced them way to high.  Whenever I go in they tell me over and over how much they love them, but perhaps a high end clothing store is not the right place to sell hand creams.

I am learning to make new and wonderful products right now. I am not sure where it will all lead, and maybe no where, but I am enjoying it all and love using freshly made creams and lotions with ingredients that are good for the skin.

Right now I am getting orders from friends and coworkers for Christmas gifts and this has kept me busy.

I have made most of my sales from the Yoga Center where I keep my bees.  The members there purchase lots of products whenever I bring stuff over. I give them a portion of my sales as a donation and this is a very good selling point with the members.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:57:38 pm by annette »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »
why don't you ebay them?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 11:17:07 am »
I see people selling lotions at craft fairs and farmer's markets too.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:29 pm »
The farmers market has always appealed to me and something to consider at some point.

I am not sure about Ebay. Believe it or not I have never been on Ebay and don't understand how it all works.  (did I mention that I am computer illiterate and tend to shy away from things where i have to think to hard?)  I did find a site called Estey(sp?) where people sell products like this, but I don't understand what sets one product apart from another.  There are so many like products on that site.

Anyway, I am not really pushing anything right now, just enjoying learning and learning. I am still sort of hung up on the local store scene, because I have not figured out a way to make my products in mass.  Not sure if I want to go that way.

My husband keeps asking me where I am going with all this, and I do not have an answer. Sometimes I want to just stop it all, because it really takes up so much of my time, but then there I am ordering more supplies.  I guess I would have to say that it is really just a hobby at this point.  I have noticed that I do not like having deadlines, so perhaps I better keep it all small and just enjoy.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 05:56:21 pm »
I think I know what you mean, Annette. When a person takes a hobby and turns it into a living, it seems like they often lose the joy in it. I think the trick is finding the perfect balance, enough earnings to cover your costs and leave you enough for yourself and to gift to friends and family, yet not so much pressure that it is a "job" and not fun any more.

I find myself trying to find this balance in many things...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:25 pm »
I know that site Etsy, I have bought a few things from there.
There are some pretty creative people on that site and then some stuff is just people selling things they have in large amounts.
It runs the gamut, but I love to browse there.
Having said that I have no idea what you would have to do to start up there.
It doesn't run on auction, its straight out buying for the set price but I honestly do not know how well lotions would sell online from an unfamiliar brand.
I could be totally wrong but I tend to want to buy from places where I can see, smell and feel what it is I am buying which is impossible to do online.
I would consider a farmer's market because the people that shop there want to support local merchants and don't expect to get things dirt cheap.
I know I pay more money at the farmer's markets than I do at supermarkets and retail places and its fine by me because the quality is better and I am supporting our local community.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 10:18:48 pm »
Well I made up 15 beautiful tubes of body lotion to sell and guess what?? I gave them all away. Just didn't feel like asking for the money this time.

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
  • Brad Raspet BingalingBees.com
    • Bingaling Bees
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »
Pretty cool! If you don't mind me asking how do you share profits with store owner? Right now I'm selling everything I make online or word of mouth and it's hard for me to figure out pricing structure for wholesale or consignment?
Brad Raspet - Mount Vernon, WA
www.BingalingBees.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:24 pm »
Well I haven't seen this post in a long time. Had to go back and re read it.

So first to answer your question.:

I told the store owners what I needed to make on the products to make it all worth my while, and then they upped the price to get what they wanted. That was the problem. For example say I wanted $4.00 to $5.00 a container for my hand creams and they upped the price to $8.00 to $10.00. It made it hard to sell many items.

I did much better when I went to crafts fairs which I did one year. Then I paid a price for a table, but I was able to keep my prices where I wanted them and sold much more. Also being right there with the products and giving out free samples and having customers test them was really good for selling. I did much better.

But for the record, I am not selling anything right now. I think I posted this somewhere on the forum that I had a terrible flood in the cottage where I was making all my products. I lost everything and had no where to work the entire year that we were remodeling the cottage.Whatever I did not lose, expired and I could not use my oils and butters anymore.

Right now I do not have any desire to make to sell. Only for friends and family.

The flood took my desire away and maybe for the best. It started as a hobby and I will probably just keep it simple.

But there truly is a market for natural, quality cosmetics if you can get started.

Good Luck
Annette