Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Egg eater  (Read 9573 times)

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
Re: Egg eater
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
>ORGANIC. I fed my chickens live mice and watched them peck them to pieces and eat them.

I didn't feed them on purpose, but the chickens got some now and then... the first chicken to catch it never got to eat it...

> Did that make my eggs organic?

Absolutely!

Beware, Michael, perhaps he breeds the mice with commercial food... :wink:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 01:24:26 pm »
We had an old coca-cola icebox with no lid. It would hold 100 lb. of feed perfectly. Each morning I would throw a bucket of feed out the door and 50 to 100 chickens would feed there. As the feed level went down, the mice would jump down and back out. When it got real low, they couldn't jump back out. There would be 5 or 10 in it every morning. I would throw out the bucket of feed to attract the chickens "en masse", then pick the mice up by the tail and toss them into the melee. They didn't make it 12 inches with those chickens.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »
Ah, so the mice were organic? No they eat the glyphosate corn, haha. Just joking, ok, iddee??

My chicken kill the sparrows, that share their organic food, if they can. I find some bones sometimes. But it?s like a symbiosis, there are more sparrows because they don?t starve and they move into the chicken?s shelters to keep warm at night.

I want to tell you all a story though it?s off topic:

When I was poor I et mostly convenience food which was cheap. When I was 25 years I developed paradontitis and rheumatism. The rheumatism was caused by the paradontitis as I found out years later.
The paradontitis was caused by the sugar contents in the food.
I was freshly married then. I loved to cook and to spoil my husband so he gained 25kg of body fat. He got rheumatism too, he blamed it on driving his Harley-Davidson almost every day in cold weather ( just like I did with my own motorcycle).
I did not want him to look like that so we started a diet. We started to eat organic and for 2 years we did not eat any meat and since then we eat whole wheat products. Today organic meat too. That was 25 years ago when we started and we still do it.
The rheumatism went away and the dentist helped me to get rid of the paradontitis. My husband lost 25kg of body fat. We are both in good health now. 54 and 58 of years, we are.

My dog Sam, a border mix, brother of Mickey, he developed cancer and protein allergy when he was 6 years old. I fed commercial food then. He lost all his claws and had tumours as big as eggs on his body, the veterinary send samples of them to the laboratory, they were malicious.
I did not want him to be euthanized, so I started to cook organic food for him and the veterinary operated him and cut away the cancerous tumours.
He recovered and passed away when he was 14 years old, never did he need the veterinarian again.
The costs for the feeding were much lower than the operations he had.

I?m a strong believer that you are what you eat. And I am convinced you eat the anguish of an animal, if they are not treated right before sacrificing themselves to be our food.
Eggs, they are so precious a food. A new life can be started but before is does we use all the valuable contents for ourselves.
So I say thank you whenever I take an egg out of the nest and I see it as a gift. My hens get the best of foods for that.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 03:30:49 pm »
ORGANIC. I fed my chickens live mice and watched them peck them to pieces and eat them. Did that make my eggs organic?

Hahaha! It only counts if the mouse carries the appropriate Organic label.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 03:32:33 pm »
ORGANIC. I fed my chickens live mice and watched them peck them to pieces and eat them. Did that make my eggs organic?

Hahaha! It only counts if the mouse carries the appropriate Organic label.

Then the mouse ate the label!! 😊😁
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 03:43:07 pm »

Only if you live on a certified organ farm!  Mice are capable of eating large amounts of poison and not dying.  BTW that is a sure fire way of your chickens getting worms which undoubtedly you will feed the chicken more poison to get rid of them.
I don't deny that the organic label is being misrepresented but when you don't know the source and the process that it was produced under then organic is the best you can do unless you can grow your own feed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 04:03:30 pm »
I doubt there was much non-organic feeds in the 1950's. I've wormed cows, goats, hogs, dogs, cats, horses, sheep. I don't remember my dad worming chickens. They were fighting bleep and their hens, and just ran the acreage. We had a year round Easter egg hunt for nests. We never had a chicken house or lot other than small cages for breeding trios.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 04:19:51 pm »
Worming Chickens - I can't stop laughing! Iddee your killing me! That's a new one! Hahaha! ... last I checked, chickens hunted down every worm they could find and ... and ... ATE IT! Hahahaha! Maybe that's why chickens ocasionally turn on one of their own and try to eat it ... it had WORMS! Hahahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:46:12 pm by CoolBees »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:30 pm »
Chickens do get parasites.  After I lost some young ones I started using Corid a couple of times a year when they were not laying.  Worked.

But, now I am well screwed.  Just had another egg cracked open and that hen was not in the yard. 

I'm going to hatch some this year so I may be doing a bigger cull than I thought to get rid of some of these older hens. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
Keep reading Ace's posts, CB. You will get many ha-has from his fantasies.

Kathy, grind the oyster shells and add them to the feed, or buy calcium supplement.
Yes, they do get parasites and diseases, but I have never heard or treating them for worms.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 05:52:59 pm »
I doubt there was much non-organic feeds in the 1950's. I've wormed cows, goats, hogs, dogs, cats, horses, sheep. I don't remember my dad worming chickens. They were fighting bleep and their hens, and just ran the acreage. We had a year round Easter egg hunt for nests. We never had a chicken house or lot other than small cages for breeding trios.

I suspect they never had mites or ticks either.  leaving them on their own and not all jammed together in a coup they foraged on everything and took dust baths to control the mites.  It is not uncommon for chickens and pets for that matter to die from worms if they are allowed to hunt mice.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:42 pm »
I have never heard or treating them for worms.

Google it, there are many references...
https://farmingmybackyard.com/deworming-chickens/
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 06:11:27 pm »

I suspect they never had mites or ticks either.  leaving them on their own and not all jammed together in a coup they foraged on everything and took dust baths to control the mites.  It is not uncommon for chickens and pets for that matter to die from worms if they are allowed to hunt mice.

Breed a few trios ourself. Would worm when in a "keep"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:07 pm »
My wife has had chickens in large chicken pens for 14 years now and we have never had worm problems, knock on wood. We have tried to allow them to free range but we have too many predators. One year they did real well free ranging until an alligator moved into our pond and wiped out 25 chickens in 3 weeks.
We have as many as 70 chickens in the main pen at one time. We do have a lot of sunlight in our main pen, more than 2/3 of it in direct sunlight. I hope that helps. This year it has rained so much that it hardly gets a chance to dry out before it rains again. I suspect being wet all the time may cause problems.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:49 am »
My wife has had chickens in large chicken pens for 14 years now and we have never had worm problems, knock on wood.

Does she test for worms?  Chickens are like vultures.  If one gets sick or compromised the rest will peck it to death.  With a lot of chickens you might conclude that a chicken died because the others ganged up on her instead of thinking she was compromised to begin with.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 10:36:37 am »
My wife has had chickens in large chicken pens for 14 years now and we have never had worm problems, knock on wood.

Does she test for worms?  Chickens are like vultures.  If one gets sick or compromised the rest will peck it to death.  With a lot of chickens you might conclude that a chicken died because the others ganged up on her instead of thinking she was compromised to begin with.
No we never have tested for worms and we have had chickens as old as 6 years.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 01:46:36 pm »
Yes, they can live a long time but they don't lay for a long time.  I have heard people say they had chickens live for 12-14 years.  Don't know if it is true or not.  We had two that lasted 6-7 years but they were treated well.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 03:46:02 pm »
I had a parasite of some sort once in the hen-coral. Each day one or two died (I had about 50 or 60 then). So I used an anti-worm-powder. Death stopped. But I gave quite a few to the foxes...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 05:25:40 pm »
If a fox has a bead on your chicken coup you either kill the fox or say good by to your chickens.  A fox took care of what to do with our last 6 chickens before we moved.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 07:47:57 pm »
Ace,
To stop predators, including neighbors dogs, from getting into my hen house, I buried one foot of the plastic coated chicken wire below ground. I also installed a fake electric wire, using standard electric wire insulators around the bottom of the pen.
The only predators that we have had in the hen house are snakes and rats.
If you build a henhouse, be sure to use the plastic coated chicken wire. When I built our first henhouse in our barn, I used new bare chicken wire. When I built a larger henhouse with half of it uncovered, I reused some old plastic coated chicken wire that a friend gave me. At the 5 year point of the first henhouse the wire was rusting away and I had to replace all of the wire with coated wire. The other henhouse is 14 years old and is still in good shape.
Jim
Ben Franklin