Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rapid Growth in 2020  (Read 4969 times)

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Rapid Growth in 2020
« on: December 24, 2020, 01:58:50 pm »
Aloha everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this forum with me and each other.  This year has been one of tremendous growth for me as a beek.  I started keeping bees in 2019 with two hives and entered 2020 with those same two--nothing more.  Throughout the year, I expanded our operation, my wife has joined me (even my kids too during inspections) and harnessed my construction background to perform live structural removals, and swarm removals of course.  I've had terrific success and have saved many hives that others had told homeowners were not removable.  2020 has been a lot about gaining confidence; Mainly in managing our apiaries.  Removals, Splits, Swarms, Inspections, Management, and more--we've grown so much this year in knowledge, as beekeepers and as a business.  I send my thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge with me.  Beemaster has been my go-to resource when I've had questions or got stuck on a problem.  I plan to stick around--the more I learn, the more I realize how much more I don't know. 

As I write this, we are at 30 hives.  Yep, 2 --> 30 in one year for me.  At times I've felt overwhelmed by the rapid growth...mainly from the pressure to have enough hives on hand to keep up with demand for removals.  I began building my own hives to keep up, which posed its own challenges as lumber is expensive, the selection is very limited and often not of good quality.  Frankly, I find building hives from scratch a headache, haha.  Trying a new hive supplier now...we'll see.   We've had great success selling our honey at local fairs and markets this holiday season; it's been a nice relief.  I believe 2021 will bring continued growth.  We have a new 24 frame extractor currently enroute, trucking across the states, headed for a shipping container in California to sail over to Honolulu.  The shipping on that thing is a killer but I look forward to having a sturdy, reliable extractor that can handle anything I throw at it as we continue to grow.  Lots of growing pains this year, but our rapid growth has yielded tremendous experiences, lots of knowledge, and a positive outlook for 2021 and our continued growth.  Thank you all for being a part of that growth!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Rapid Growth in 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 09:50:32 am »
Congratulations!  2 to 30 is rapid growth when you are new at it.  Good luck in the future.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:45 am »
Jurassic,
I know how you feel. I also started in 2019, and you are right... I have learned so much this second year.
Concepts have suddenly started making sense. Working the hives has become more simple. Confidence during inspections has grown.
I hope 2021 will see even greater growth.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 12:44:57 pm »
Congratulations!  2 to 30 is rapid growth when you are new at it.  Good luck in the future.
Haha, yah, 2 to 30 was a lot for me.  It may pale in comparison to commercial growth scales, but for little 'ole me, it was a heck of a transformative year!  Thanks Acebird.

Jurassic,
I know how you feel. I also started in 2019, and you are right... I have learned so much this second year.
Concepts have suddenly started making sense. Working the hives has become more simple. Confidence during inspections has grown.
I hope 2021 will see even greater growth.
Indeed!  Frankly, looking back, it's amazing to look back at my journey so far.  Here's to continued growth in 2021!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 06:54:22 pm »
That's awesome, Jurassic!  Keep up the good work.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything