Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pest and challenges of keeping honeybees in the Philippines..  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Pest and challenges of keeping honeybees in the Philippines..
« on: September 10, 2023, 12:56:37 am »
  This is from my personal experience. A few people on Beemaster.. Have asked me about this..

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-201/E-201.html

Tropical Asia, differ from the rest of the world in that there are three native species of honeybee: Apis florea, Apis indica (now usually known as Apis cerana) and Apis dorsata.
The Philippines Also has the Is large asian hornets.. They ate honey bees.. Also  Apis Mellifera Has been imported to this country.. There are also Stingless bees.. Which I believe are a member of the fly family.... About 10 different kinds I've been told..

Yes, the Philippines has 3 kinds of mites..Tracheal Varroa  and Tropilaelaps... Beekeepers do like the European Honey bee.. Because they produce more honey than any other ones that I mentioned above... Most all Beekeepers who have European bees do not have any kind of foundation.... All naturally drawn comb.. The European bees can handle.. Tracheal Mites pretty easily. The other 2 kinds of mites are very problematic. Especially for european honey bees.. The Asian bees. Can handle the 3 Types Mites.. Very easily.. Yes beekeepers do use chemicals For this Mites. As far as I know. There is no type of wax foundation for Asian honeybees. Anywhere in the world. Also remember we have the big hornets from asia that will eat honey bees.. If you drill a proper size hole.. For Asian honey bees. The hornets are too big to get in the hives.. This is not true what european honeybees. From what the local beekeepers tell me.. The Asian honey bees produce about half as much as Europeans. As far as extra honey goes..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134    :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Pest and challenges of keeping honeybees in the Philippines..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 06:53:42 am »
Very enlightening, thanks Jim 134. You certainly have your share of pest as well. How long have you been living in the Philippines?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 07:08:47 pm »
  This is from my personal experience. A few people on Beemaster.. Have asked me about this..

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-201/E-201.html

Tropical Asia, differ from the rest of the world in that there are three native species of honeybee: Apis florea, Apis indica (now usually known as Apis cerana) and Apis dorsata.
The Philippines Also has the Is large asian hornets.. They ate honey bees.. Also  Apis Mellifera Has been imported to this country.. There are also Stingless bees.. Which I believe are a member of the fly family.... About 10 different kinds I've been told..

Yes, the Philippines has 3 kinds of mites..Tracheal Varroa  and Tropilaelaps... Beekeepers do like the European Honey bee.. Because they produce more honey than any other ones that I mentioned above... Most all Beekeepers who have European bees do not have any kind of foundation.... All naturally drawn comb.. The European bees can handle.. Tracheal Mites pretty easily. The other 2 kinds of mites are very problematic. Especially for european honey bees.. The Asian bees. Can handle the 3 Types Mites.. Very easily.. Yes beekeepers do use chemicals For this Mites. As far as I know. There is no type of wax foundation for Asian honeybees. Anywhere in the world. Also remember we have the big hornets from asia that will eat honey bees.. If you drill a proper size hole.. For Asian honey bees. The hornets are too big to get in the hives.. This is not true what european honeybees. From what the local beekeepers tell me.. The Asian honey bees produce about half as much as Europeans. As far as extra honey goes..

There are a couple of things I forgot... One is If you ever get to look at a hive? That has asian bees..
   You will see brown speckles spot.. Especially near the entrance. This is on the outside boxes.. Is asian bees go collect Chicken droppings... To cover up the smell of ripening.. And honey.... This makes it Harder.. The big. Asian hornets. To find the honeybee. And they're hives.. The man that told me this.. You're someone you Recognize.. Jeff Pettus (sp).. Has since retired.. He was the head of Beltsville, Maryland for the bee lab.
Asian bees are Calm.. You can go in a hive. Doing a rainstorm... The honeybee will stay right on the comb.. If it is raining hard.. All Ithe beekeepers do is put up a big. Picnic umbrella.... No need No need to waste your money on suits or smokers...

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 07:30:14 pm »
Just in case you would like to know Another place that I have kept honeybees .. This is 40 years ago  :shocked:

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=18470.0

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:49:00 am by Jim134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 07:58:18 pm »
     I see, I forgot to answer the question about how long have I lived in the Philippines 6 years. I have not kept bees since I have been in the Philippines.. Every once in a while. I do go to help a beekeeper.. Who is a member of The same church I go to.   He sells me, honey for $2 a pound. At this particular price, At Is not worth at ..To keep honey bees..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

anything