BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Remedy for bee stings from your yard

(1/5) > >>

BeeMaster2:
Here is an article about Plantains that you can use to stop the pain from bee stings.

Plantain leaf to the rescue! 🍃 Just got stung by a bumblebee (my fault: I was harvesting a flower and somehow didn't see it). Plantain (Plantago sp.) is my go-to because it works...fast! Chewed up a leaf, put it on the sting, and now the pain is 100% gone. I use plantain for stings, bites, rashes, splinters, and more. It's a great "drawing" plant as it draws things out of you (like venom). It's also an ingredient in my all-purpose salve for this very reason. A good one to teach your kids too. Thank you, plantain, for your help today!!! 🍃💕😊

Here is a picture of it.

Jim Altmiller

Occam:
Always nice finding these posts in the archives, one of the great things about this place. Was sitting on the bench observing  my bees today when one of them got offended at my presence for some reason, buzzed over, and stung me right on my eyebrow. Apparently my face needs some improvements 🤣. Having recalled reading about its use i did a quick search here to confirm my recollection. I thankfully have plenty of plantain around and retrieved some 👌

The15thMember:
I got stung 3 times a few weeks ago working my mean hive, and I not only put plantain on my stings but I also ate of bunch of leaves, and it really helped to keep the swelling from getting out of hand like it often does for me.  Both broad-leaf and narrow-leaf plantain works well.   

Occam:
I mainly have the narrow leaf variety around I find. I haven't been nibbling any but maybe I'll go pick some and eat it while I watch something tonight. It started to swell on me a couple hours ago but is starting to subside.

A lot of trauma for my head today. I was driving tposts and raised the driver a little too high catching the top of the tpost with the bottom of the driver and tilt slammed the driver on top of my head. Got a small split in my scalp for my troubles. Ground yarrow to the rescue for the bleeding there

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Occam on May 27, 2023, 09:48:41 pm ---A lot of trauma for my head today. I was driving tposts and raised the driver a little too high catching the top of the tpost with the bottom of the driver and tilt slammed the driver on top of my head. Got a small split in my scalp for my troubles. Ground yarrow to the rescue for the bleeding there

--- End quote ---
Eesh, you and my dad both.  He was at the dump today, and the hatch on our car went on the fritz and lowered a few inches, and the corner bashed into his head.  Thankfully he had a hat on, or it would have been much worse.  It wasn't bleeding much anymore by the time he got back home, but he did have a blood trail running down the side of his face.  I wonder what people driving by him thought!  :shocked:  :grin:  Incidentally, we just harvested our first round of yarrow flowers ourselves the other day and put them in the freeze dryer.

--- Quote from: Occam on May 27, 2023, 09:48:41 pm ---I mainly have the narrow leaf variety around I find. I haven't been nibbling any but maybe I'll go pick some and eat it while I watch something tonight. It started to swell on me a couple hours ago but is starting to subside.

--- End quote ---
The smaller leaves taste better.  The big ones are kind of bitter, but I'm not eating it for the flavor, so I often just force down a big one or two.  Something else I have been doing lately when my stings swell up (which is frequently for me) is making some strong tea (green or black), soaking some gauze in it, and applying that the sting.  Tea has a quercetin in it which is a natural anti-histamine. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version