MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > BOOKS and AUDIOBOOKS

Honeybee Democracy

(1/4) > >>

hjon71:
I have borrowed this book from a friend locally who is interested in beekeeping. I lent him my copy of Beekeeping for Dummies, which my wife bought as a joke for me. The joke is on her though because I've read it through twice so far.

Honeybee Democracy, is just as good. The author T.D. Steely takes a scientific approach to study how and why swarms choose new homes. Highly recommend picking this one up.

Billy B:
+1

I originally picked up the book because I thought the quality of the book itself was good, cover art was good, and so therefore the content must be good right?   I mean, how can an entire book about swarming not keep you on the edge of your seat?    Actually, the book is really fascinating and while obviously very much a book about the science and research results it is written and presented in a highly consumable way without ever getting too bogged down.    Highly recommended.

Dallasbeek:
Fascinating.  This guy has spent his life researching bees.  How can we not love it?

Michael Bush:
Seeley is not only smart, he is a good communicator (writing or speaking).  He makes what he has to say plain and understanable while not dumbing it down.  This is a great book if you want to understand details of what a swarm does.  I think the details help us in understanding other things about how a colony communicates and makes decisions...

Wisdom of the Hive isn't in print anymore, I think.  But that's a great one by him as well.   There is a little overlap but it is a different book with a broader topic.

Eric Bosworth:
I just started reading this. Very interesting. Especially living about an hour from Ithaca. I will say that in 1975 there were a lot more feral bees than there are now however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version