Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Banana Trees Nectar  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
Banana Trees Nectar
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
I went outside 2 days ago and noticed one of my Banana Trees flowering. Nectar is just dripping from it however I have not seen any bees around it. Curious if anyone here has Banana trees and what their experience has been. I did Google it and saw that Bees do visit Banana trees so I'm guessing my Bees like something else right now.
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Banana Trees Nectar
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »
Bees are very loyal to whatever nectar source they are working.  They don't tend to change until it runs out.  Unless it's a very poor source, in which case they always seem to be looking for a better source.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
I believe in taking 'sources' that you know are good in the area, or that you want them to use, and putting them by the entrance of the hives, like right at it, helps train them to accept those sources. bees do not need anyone to do that of course, they do just fine on their own, but if you took that banana nectar, and took a banana flower (great in some recipes btw if you haven't used them to cook with.) and placed it right at the entrance, not blocking it but there and in the early morning put nectar on it, it will train them to find it, and harvest from it. do it for a few mornings. like I said though they do not really need you to do it, though.
  bee response can be trained though, and it is found that different bees in a hives react differently to different responses also, I believe. scientists do this type of training to get bees to find explosives/etc. even. though they do it by a reward system where they pipe scent towards the bees and the ones that respond to the scent, a scent for a particular explosive/etc, they reward with nectar on a qtip. Bees train extremely fast, from what I am to understand. in less then a few hours even. doing the above is the same in the respect that you are rewarding them with the nectar right there and they will train on the scent.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »
well today I saw my first bee on it, came back and another bee was on it. Wasn't watching all day , just those 2 times until I saw some sort of beetle in it. I squashed if and the flower fell off but a new batch opened a few hours later. Not sure what these beetles are but they also get up into my citrus flowers as well.
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:21:12 pm »
The bees and wasps will be eating on them all summer. My bees will work them hard!   
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.