Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot Hives  (Read 11834 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Hot Hives
« on: January 18, 2022, 12:30:06 am »
Hi Folks,

Was just flicking through some photos and found a pic of 3 of my hives that I had on a neighbour?s place. The date was January 1st, 2020. They got a little warm when the big fire went through.

Was lucky enough to save the hives at home. Saw a neighbour?s hive go up like a Roman Candle. The little critters didn?t have a chance.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Hot Hives
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 08:10:13 am »
Maybe they absconded before the fire reach them.  The problem is where could they have gone?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 08:44:31 am »
Anywhere,  they carry everything they need to make a new home. They can easily fly 5 miles to find a new site. Most forest Fire?s don?t extend that far in every direction. The biggest problem is how far can the queen fly while still in full egg production. She needs to bee able to fly far enough to bee able to find a safe landing spot while the scouts decide which direction to go..
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:06:22 am »
They can  easily fly 5 miles to find a new site.
Foragers sure.  Egg laying queen, I don't know.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:22:40 am »
Wow!  It's good you were able to save yours Les... 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 04:04:24 pm »
The bees wouldn?t have made it out. The fire came too quickly. This was a big fire and burnt out 500,000 hectares. (About 1,200,000 acres). I was lucky. The fire was on all sides of the property but roads and a lucky wind break saved us.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 04:19:26 pm »
Oh, that's so horrible.  :cry:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 05:13:17 pm »
About 1,200,000 acres.
Wow that is a large fire. How fast were the winds?
I?ll bet they were high.
Here in Florida we have a watch out rule of 30,15,30.
More than 30 days no rain.
Winds in excess of 15 mile per hour.
Humidity less than 30%.
If you have all three, a fire can easily over take you if you get down wind of it.
If you ask one of your fire fighters they have a similar watch out but it may bee a little bit different.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 05:16:47 pm »
Yes it was and still is a horrible memory for a lot of the community. Some people are still struggling to deal with the aftermath of the fires but we are all trying to move on with a positive outlook.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 05:28:40 pm »
We were in a pretty severe drought at the time and the forests hadn?t burnt for about 20 years. The fire had been burning for about 6 weeks in remote areas to the west of us. Firefighters couldn?t access the area to control it. We all knew that if conditions changed, we?d end up with the perfect storm. Strong, dry northwesterly winds intensified the fire and it arrived quickly. This fire was only one of many that were burning at the time. Over 45,000,000 acres were burned in 2019.