Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overwintering success.  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Overwintering success.
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:51:22 am »
2019. My first year, I had a swarm just move straight into my new, empty Long langstroth, which I had just built. It was sitting in my yard, waiting for my swarm traps to catch a swarm. My long lang is 4 feet long, and holds 32 deep langstroth frames lined up like folders in a filing cabinet drawer. That is a tad over three deep hive boxes in a row. The swarm arrived late in the season and only filled out about thirteen frames. It over wintered fine.
2020. I mismanaged the 2019 hive that next spring. The bees backfilled the broodnest at the front entrance. It got congested and they swarmed... 3 times. I caught and hived those swarms, which also swarmed.
2021. Nevertheless, in spite of lack of understanding and proper managing, the three hives have overwintered well, with 3 or more frames of packed honey each. One is stressed some, and defensive. Another is also small, but calm and clean. The third is very large, strong, and calm.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Overwintering success.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 12:02:24 pm »
How do you manage a long hive where it does not get congested? What is your strategy this season? I do not have long hives, just interested.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:54:30 pm »
Greetings Ben. Check the other thread I just started.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:38 pm »
Will Do thanks Bob..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything