Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apithor and ventilated bottom board  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
Apithor and ventilated bottom board
« on: October 24, 2022, 08:24:59 pm »
Hello,

The apithor instructions specify that they are not to be used on hives with perforated bottom boards. Unfortunately I purchased a mesh bottom board with a oil tray thinking it is better and have now noticed the beetles inside the hive.

The apithor worked well in my old hive base, so I would have liked to put an apithor in but it seems that's not an option. What are the alternatives? I want something that is effective. What is working well for you?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Apithor and ventilated bottom board
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 10:58:12 pm »
The purchased apithor is not necessary in my experience thanks to information shared by members here, Beemaster2, Paus, and others.  I found the recommended screened bottom board using (number 8 hardware cloth), with an oil tray benefit does the job very well.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Apithor and ventilated bottom board
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 11:35:38 pm »
Since I have learned to keep my bees from having too much space, I don't struggle too badly with beetles anymore in my location.  I will sometimes put squares of generic Swiffer sheets in the corners of my boxes if I notice more than a beetle or two in a hive.  I do catch a couple bees in the sheets usually, but if there are more beetles than bees caught, I think it's worth it.  I also have some beetle traps that hang over the frames which are easy to use, but I haven't needed them in a few years.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.