Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pleasant Surprise Today  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Pleasant Surprise Today
« on: February 29, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
Even though it is the last day of February. I had spring fever being it has reached 62f! We have had some strange weather in my area this winter. Highs and Lows. Enough rain to wonder if I may need to invest in a houseboat lol. We have even had a little snow. This spring fever led me to my shed as it could use a good going through and rearranging. I had stacked some 5 frame nucs that I had left over from their growing to 10 framer boxes back last season, and stacked in a certain area. I stacked these with the tops and bottoms just as they were as a hive. I also consolidated several extra combed frames in some of these setups. Pleasantly to my surprise, about four boxes up in one of these stacks were bees coming and going. (May I add, this shed is enclosed but not air tight. I have a couple vent holes in the back top on this shed/shop).  I was thinking, "I suppose those are scout bees out doing their thing". These were not scout bees I learned the hard way. I opened the top and it was packed, and not appreciated one little bit by these bees! I took a sting to the nose and cheek bone area. lol

I put the top back on, retrieved my veil and smoker, and moved this set up outside where I could see more clearly.  Now is the big surprise! I not only found plenty bees but also some capped brood! I had smoked them lightly and went a little deeper and found one of my very own marked green queens! Apparently, one of my hives must have swarmed recently and here they were! I have been told from others that are in my area this is not swarm season quite yet. I would have never guessed that one of my colonies would have swarmed here this early! So, I have caught my first (unintentional trap out) without even trying! Moral of this little story. For those of you who want to do some bee trapping, I would suggest you get those swarm traps out pronto and make sure they have plenty comb and foundation so you will have a ready made home for your swarm catches. Worked for me and I didnt even try! What a blessing!

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:48:02 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Pleasant Surprise Today
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:40:26 pm »
Totally cool story, how exciting!!!!  I disagree on the moral of the story, true moral is count your Blessings.  Let me see if I understand: you caught a swarm, you didn?t mean to, but wanted to, you intended to, but hesitated to, and WALLA.  Delivered to your front door, er uh, building, WHAT could be better!!!!

Great way to start the year, Phil.  I had a good day also, my bees are finding pollen.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:50:56 pm »
Wow, Phillip!  That is totally crazy and amazing!  It was nice here today too, although not as warm as it was in your area.  I also got outside to do some spring prep, and cleared away the space in the woods for my new hives this year.  It was only in the 40's here, although it was sunny, and I was surprised that one of my hives had some bees coming and going throughout the afternoon. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:56:00 pm »
Totally cool story, how exciting!!!!  I disagree on the moral of the story, true moral is count your Blessings.  Let me see if I understand: you caught a swarm, you didn?t mean to, but wanted to, you intended to, but hesitated to, and WALLA.  Delivered to your front door, er uh, building, WHAT could be better!!!!

Great way to start the year, Phil.  I had a good day also, my bees are finding pollen.

Thanks Van. We just sit down to dinner. This event has left me with questions, (imagine that) lol
I will get back here later.
Thanks
Phillip

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:06:49 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:00:53 pm »
Awesome!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »
Phillip,
That is a surprising, encouraging story.
Good luck with her the second time around.
And remember to give her plenty of frames early next spring.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 12:20:54 am »
Thanks all, Yes this was quite a surprise! No intention on my part of trying to catch a swarm in this situation of stored wood ware. This has however, brought questions. As you might have read, In Vans topic a short while ago, I posted of a nuc starve out. I found and rescued the marked green queen in that nuc. I have her in an incubator and am hand feeding her and her small entourage of nurse bees honey. I was waiting until the time was right. (Warmer weather), to make a split using her as the new mama. Since this has happened with the storage situation, I suppose the time is right? Even though the experts in my area say it is early? 

Here is my main question. If the established nuc starved, how did this swarm survive? Could it be they took full advantage of what stores they carried from the swarm hive and stored this into the new location? Remember, they did not have to use their carried away provisions for making comb. And in the new location, none of what little honey was there was capped. They have made no effort to make any wax, even cappings in their new home, (except for brood cappings). As there was not enough honey in this swarm location to cap. I immediately gave them a homemade boardman feeder. I can understand the supply of needed pollen as I have been open feeding Ultra Bee.  No doubt if I had not found this swarm, they might have very well perished by starvation? Yes this was a blessing for sure.

Bob I figured each hive had plenty room as each established hive had stores they have been steady emptying since the last flow. Being I have almost thirty hives, I have no idea which hive this swarm came from as of yet, but one thing is for sure, She was one of my marked queens. There are no other beekeepers in my immediate area. I suppose when  I do my spring inspections, I will find out which hive swarmed, hopefully finding a new, fat, unmarked queen. Lol 
PS I count this situation  as another good reason for a learning beekeeper, to mark their queens?

Blessings,
Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:46:40 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:42:40 am »
Member I am glad you and the others enjoyed your day also! I have noticed that my bees usually fly when the temperature is around 43ish, when the wind is not blowing and the sun is out.

Phillip

anything