Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite Count Numbers Skyrocket AFTER Treatment  (Read 4108 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Mite Count Numbers Skyrocket AFTER Treatment
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 03:13:48 pm »
The hive are still in the process of being treated.  I put the first round of ApiLife Var on the hives on 11/1, and I'll take the last round off on 11/29.  I'm calling it though with the hive that had the 22%.  They are too small to keep themselves warm.  I was actually just about to head out the do the deed and clean them up.  The other hives are looking good so far; they're maintaining their populations and flying on warm days.  I haven't see a huge mite drop from any colony yet, so I'm a little skeptical, but I do have ants cleaning the bottom board inserts this time of year, so they could be interfering.  By the time the treatment is over, I doubt my temps will be warm enough to do a sugar roll, so it's just a wait and see game from there, I guess. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 09:35:32 am »
I don't know North Carolina's season but are mite treatments fruitful after Nov. 1 anyway?  It is my understanding that you treat a hive prior to winter build up.  If it doesn't work it doesn't work.  I have no experience with treating hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 09:59:53 am »
Its worth it where they brood year round.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 11:34:22 am »

I don't know North Carolina's season but are mite treatments fruitful after Nov. 1 anyway?  It is my understanding that you treat a hive prior to winter build up.  If it doesn't work it doesn't work.  I have no experience with treating hives.
Its worth it where they brood year round.

My hives don't have brood year round, but some still had a little bit of brood when I began the treatment.  I think my colonies are broodless from late Nov. to some time in February.  Honestly I'm not sure if it will help this late, but I felt like trying something was better than doing nothing.  I did treat the hives prior to winter buildup, but the treatment didn't work.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 11:28:34 pm »
Wondering what the results are .. ?

Same here HP......
How are things now Member? This is the time of year when we will soon be aproching an opportune time for OA treatment. 'December'.
We have discussed the fact that mites 'hang on' through the winter months. Now, or soon, might be a good time to knock them out with OAV when brood, or little brood can be found in the hives.

PS Member, I wish I could find the discussion along with the data... Do you by any chance recall where this was discussed here?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:52:17 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2021, 12:06:01 am »
Wondering what the results are .. ?

Same here HP......
How are things now Member? This is the time of year when we will soon be aproching an opportune time for OA treatment. 'December'.
We have discussed the fact that mites 'hang on' through the winter months. Now, or soon, might be a good time to knock them out with OAV when brood, or little brood can be found in the hives.

PS Member, I wish I could find the discussion along with the data... Do you by any chance recall where this was discussed here?
I took the treatments off today and checked the bottom boards.  The strongest hive had a pretty significant drop, but the others didn't wow me, so we'll just have to see.  I couldn't finalize my fall feeding with the treatments on, so I gave everyone some sugar balls too, just to be safe.

I don't recall the exact thread you are talking about, Phillip.  I don't always pay attention to OAV threads, since it's not a treatment method I'm very familiar with.  If I run into it, I'll let you know.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2021, 12:15:41 am »
Thanks for the update Member, wishing you the best!!...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2021, 08:56:59 pm »
What about a heat treatment? Like "mighty mite.
That wouldn't be weather-dependent. Does a local beek have one you could borrow?

I can't imagine what a hassle it is to treat for mites.  I never do, I never need to. There are feral bees are all over here in all the swamps and the worst I get is [rarely] some fierce bees - but never africanized.  I wonder if the long hot summers knock out the mites around here.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 12:29:12 am »
That wouldn't be weather-dependent. Does a local beek have one you could borrow?

I can't imagine what a hassle it is to treat for mites.  I never do, I never need to. There are feral bees are all over here in all the swamps and the worst I get is [rarely] some fierce bees - but never africanized.  I wonder if the long hot summers knock out the mites around here.
I unfortunately don't know anyone who has one of those, although I think they are intriguing.  Yeah, it's definitely a hassle.  :sad:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 04:06:07 am »
   I've had this happened before... The only thing that made sense... Was my bees were  robbing out a weak colony With Mite.. Yes this happened after the honeyflow stopped.. Late in the fall..   I did do a OAV ... Yes the bees made it through the Winter..  I believe the winters in Vermont are a little Tuffer.. Then where you live.

BEE HAPPY Jim134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 09:19:42 am »

The long hot summers don't knock out the mites a few hours south of you, I wish.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 07:48:32 pm »

I've had this happened before... The only thing that made sense... Was my bees were  robbing out a weak colony With Mite.. Yes this happened after the honeyflow stopped..
If your bees carry mites back from robbing then the hive will have mites. Easy Peasy lemon Squeasy.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 09:40:26 pm »
I?m gonna hit mine this weekend and maybe again a few days later with OA then out them to bed for the winter. Here is an interesting video from our area. I only did one dose last year, but, maybe a couple hits this year. We have some decent weather next week for loose clusters or even closing off the entrance on a warm day, letting it get up in the 60s, then treating and then opening the entrance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=739&v=k3ZBC-BXAp4&feature=emb_logo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything