Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: corn cobs for smoker fuel  (Read 6665 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: corn cobs for smoker fuel
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2021, 05:52:24 am »
I like cut grass.  It is not stiff and does not get in the way of the lid and lots of times more is just laying on the ground by the hives. 
Cheers
gww

Thats what I have been using too. I actually raked some up after drying/curing, and put it in a couple buckets so I will have it on hand.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2021, 07:01:52 am »
   1st of all buy the biggest smoke you can get... I'd like the Dadant.. Has a grill on it For heat... Of course it's the most expensive one... Also  It is 10" long..  Now for the fuel... I use everything you can think of most likely... Even dry cow Patty. For about the last 10 years... Use punky wood and pine straw.Or  Pine shavings from tractor supply. With pine straw..

BEE  HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2021, 12:04:33 pm »
ben
I keep a couple 40 lb chicken food bags full in the garage. 
I cut my grass long enough and my mower will leave furrows like we used to rake in the hay fields and once dry, only have to grab a few bags once a year and like I said, refills are many times just laying on the ground down by the hives.  It is very easy to manipulate.   I also use any other thing that is most handy at the time.
Cheers
gww

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 12:23:14 pm »
ben
I keep a couple 40 lb chicken food bags full in the garage. 
I cut my grass long enough and my mower will leave furrows like we used to rake in the hay fields and once dry, only have to grab a few bags once a year and like I said, refills are many times just laying on the ground down by the hives.  It is very easy to manipulate.   I also use any other thing that is most handy at the time.
Cheers
gww

Yep gww same here, same hayfield scenario thinking. The reason I use the buckets is they are free from Kroger. (Empty icing buckets), I can pack em and stack em in the corner. Grab one when I go to my other bee yard and chunk it in the back. Mice can not get in them in the cooler weather.

I do not think Paus would mind me telling. He is the one who told me about pecan hulls. He said they smell pleasant and last a long time.
He gave me another tip about collecting them. He said go to a pecan sheller and they will probably give me all the hulls I would need. I am thinking I could store them in buckets too.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 04:49:49 pm »
I had a visit from an Albanian bee keeper who. through an interpreter said that a piece of old brood comb put in the smoker would calm aggressive hives.
I haven't  tried it.
For general smoke we use literally anything though my favourite is eucalyptus leaves because i like the smell. We use alot of hesian in summer as it doesn't spark as much.
Dry horse or cow manure is the longest lasting smoke, smolders for ages. No bad smell as it is basically grass.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 04:57:17 pm »
Oldbeavo it is winter here. The tip given sounds good to the ear. It is winter here in my area and I will not be needing smoke anytime soon. Maybe you will get a chance to try this out soon? If so let 'us' know how this works out. I am optimistic!! As always from one member to another, thank you for sharing information here at Beemaster!!...

Phillip

anything