Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cedar Super Wood?  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Davzbeez

• New Bee
Cedar Super Wood?
« on: October 28, 2005, 01:02:44 am »
Can supers/hive bodies be made out of cedar? I am going to make my own supers this winter.  I wanted to use cypress as I understand it is very impervious to weather.  The prices are to high for me however.  I do have a ready supply of cheap cedar lumber available.
Deformis Sed Suspendium

Ask Gandalf!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 08:56:18 am »
Cedar makes perfectly good supers.  It's more expensive than pine, which makes just as good of a super.  I like to use the cedar for tops and bottoms which get more weather, but I have made boxes out of scrap cedar from construction sites.  They work fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:20:41 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doen't ceder have a sent that usually repels moths?  Could that possibly aid in prevention of wax moth infestation of stored supers?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 08:56:04 pm »
>doen't ceder have a sent that usually repels moths? Could that possibly aid in prevention of wax moth infestation of stored supers?

That's the theory, and no it doesn't.  But it does make nice boxes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 12:36:59 am »
oh, ok...'twas a thought...

Offline davew26

• New Bee
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:26:30 pm »
Cedar has been used for a long time to stuff dog bedding.  It does a good job of repelling ticks and fleas.  Have you noticed a reduction of Varroa mites in your cedar supers?

Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 01:18:42 pm »
> Have you noticed a reduction of Varroa mites in your cedar supers?

I haven't noticed any difference in wax moths or varroa in cedar boxes.
-------------------

Offline PABEEMAN

• Brood
Re: Cedar Super Wood?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »
I don't believe he was looking for a reduction so it makes sense that he failed to notice a difference.  I recommend you make your own shaving and test yourself.  I plan on distilling some or getting a cedar spray oil and testing on bees with mites on their back.
JOn

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 02:36:02 pm »
Ummm....honey bees have eyes facing up with no eyelids.
And many essential oils can harm human skin when undiluted. 
I sure wouldn't want to have my eyes propped open and then be soaked with concentrated cedar oil.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 11:13:58 pm »
Any oil could cause harm to bees.  Like other insects, bees' respiration is through openings in the body, not through noses.  Stop up those holes with oil and you kill the insect.  That's why oil is effective against white flies, thrips and such that are otherwise difficult to kill.  Of course, the oil has to be applied directly to an insect for that to work.  There's no residual effect, by which I mean applying oil to flowers or leaves that an insect contacts has no effect.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:37:28 pm by Dallasbeek »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944