Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Notching for Queen Cells  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Notching for Queen Cells
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:59:20 am »
Mr Bill,  ?eltalia? from Australia. Has kindly gave me some information about the practice of notching. This is a very interesting subject. In my search for more information, I found this interesting video which does not really go to deeply in the notching subject but does have an interesting stand that can be used for either notching or grafting I suppose. I thought I would post it just in case it might benefit others. It is only about 3 minutes long.
Phillip

https://youtu.be/jJMUq2lkRb4
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Notching for Queen Cells
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:11:53 pm »
Ben,
It does show the technique. Good share.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:43:03 pm »
Phillip, thank you for the video. That is a handy frame hilder. Could you (or anyone) explain the reason for Notching the cells?

Thanks,
Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:18:50 pm »
Thanks Alan, This is another way in which to raise queens. There are other videos and on line information that explain this in more detail. Eltalia, Mr Bill was taught this practice many years ago. You will find him on the down-under beekeeping heading which is a couple headings below the general beekeeping heading. I feel sure that if you ask him, he will be more than glad to explain this if further detail. As I said this is nothing new to him.  Happy Good Friday to you,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »
Alan,
I use this technique when I do a split to make it easier for the bees to make a queen cell, especially on old comb. It enables the bees to make a vertical cell with out wasting a lot of Royal Jelly to float the larvae out to the edge of the comb. They bees usually use the notches over un notched comb.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:05:09 pm »
You guys are great. Mr Bill definitely knows his stuff. Very knowledgeable man. I read all his posts and am thankful that he helps out here.

I appreciate the answers. It makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try that on my next split!  :grin:

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:55 pm »
Adore dat dar accent: one day old LAVA holder and DEN, DAT frame holder...  well the video was useful in demonstrating the subject matter.  Hats off to the fella.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 04:24:04 pm »
An update on this topic:

I used the Notching technique last time around when trying to get the bees to make queen cells - it didn't work for me/my bees.

Here's how I did it - I removed the queen and some nurse bees from 3 strong hives, and placed them each in a Nuc with some capped brood and stores.

Then I went into the strong hive and notched each frame (that contained eggs/day old larvae) in multiple places. 8 days later I returned. Every frame had capped QC's, and every notched area was repaired so well as to be almost invisible.

It seems, my bees made QC"s wherever they felt appropriate, and ignored my opinion on the matter. ... maybe my comb isn't old enough for this technique to be beneficial for them?

Thought I'd share my experience. All comments welcome.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 03:22:34 pm »
Cool ( I did buy the book from Mel )
I did the same on all mine made nucs with the queen and then notched got about 70 percent on the notches. I did notice that I chose  to new of eggs in the failures, but the queens have been great. I did it in June after the solstice here was yesterday inspection.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »
Beautiful pattern JT.

In mine I only notched eggs - maybe I should have notched some freshly hatched larvae also. I'll be trying again next spring. I'm definitely open to improvements in my process. Regarding Notching for QC"s, in the words of Val Kilmer "I'm convinced the theory is sound" (from the movei The Ghost and The Darkness:grin:

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 08:13:31 pm »
Beautiful pattern JT.

In mine I only notched eggs - maybe I should have notched some freshly hatched larvae also. I'll be trying again next spring. I'm definitely open to improvements in my process. Regarding Notching for QC"s, in the words of Val Kilmer "I'm convinced the theory is sound" (from the movei The Ghost and The Darkness:grin:
loved that movie
From the book Mel disselkoen Mel notches 36 hour larvae from a full strength queenless colony. The book is great. Will read it again this winter(like Florida has one) to get ready for spring
Here is some good pics. http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/Helpful_Tips_For_Notching-web.pdf
And a older discussion on Beemaster https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=44794.0

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 05:27:03 pm »
Why notch plastic? I notch wax foundation in between the wires so I can cut the cells out. I alternate the height from side to side so I can cut multiple cells off of the same frame.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 05:35:25 pm »
I don't notch, but the rationale is that you choose the right age larvae and you spread the cells so they aren't in clumps that you can't easily separate.  On plastic, the clumps probably don't matter so much, but if you put one notched cell on each frame you could put them each in a separate mating nuc.  And you can pick the right age larvae.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin