Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's blooming in southeastern US?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
What's blooming in southeastern US?
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:03:13 pm »
It is an early year here in mid-Georgia. I am recording in my weekly calendar when everything begins blooming, but it seem atypical this year. Too early. Lorapetalum, white daffodils, thrift (prostrate phlox), dandilions, and rosemary. That was when, last year, I put out my bait trap nearby and caught my first colony.
Notice the beautiful white pollen she is going to bring into the hive.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: What's blooming in southeastern US?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »
Nice pic, thanks Mr. Bob.  One of those beautiful black or dark colored bees.  Enjoy you warmth, gonna be 18F in a few days here, N. Arkansas.
Blessings

Add:  I want a hive of those dark bees that I call Carniolan.  Note the word carniolan I used in a general sense only to distinguish dark bees from the yellow stripe bees that I call Italian.  I have seen hives full of the dark, black  bees with a solid black queen that were so gentle and made the most beautiful comb.  I am looking for a queen as described, black that produces described black gentle bees, eventually I?ll find one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:44:41 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:55:52 pm »
Nice pic, thanks Mr. Bob.  One of those beautiful black or dark colored bees.  Enjoy you warmth, gonna be 18F in a few days here, N. Arkansas.
Blessings

Add:  I want a hive of those dark bees that I call Carniolan.  Note the word carniolan I used in a general sense only to distinguish dark bees from the yellow stripe bees that I call Italian.  I have seen hives full of the dark, black  bees with a solid black queen that were so gentle and made the most beautiful comb.  I am looking for a queen as described, black that produces described black gentle bees, eventually I?ll find one.

Mr Van what you just described is just what I found in my cutouts. Very gentle, dark and outstanding producers, small,  also very hardy to boot.  I will try to remember to make a conscious effort to attempt to raise a batch of these and if any of the queens come in this color I happily send a couple to you.
Blessings,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:23:21 pm »
I?ll personal message you, Mr. Ben.
Thanks
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:28:58 pm »
I?ll personal message you, Mr. Ben.
Thanks

Yes Sir, you are welcome.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:20:50 pm »
I?ve seen a few plants popping up in my area too. It?s too early for that!   :sad:  I?ve also seen a couple carpenter bees and it?s too early for them too. If things start hatching and blooming and we get a cold snap, it?s not going to be pretty.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 09:46:16 pm »
Seeing only dandelions here. Henbit is starting to come up. But like Van said we got some cold coming.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »
Member, Nock, you are so correct.

Note;  in just a few day?s..,  At 18f for the low and 38F for the high, two consecutive days of cold, my hives will probably experience brood chill.  How bad remains to be seen. I could insulate my hives, but unfortunately, in my case, I raise queens and must allow the weather to cull.  Not all of my queens are laying, I noticed a few weeks ago the older queens were waiting to lay.  Maybe I?ll get lucky and the laying queens only laid enough eggs to cover.

November, 1st week and 18F: colder than normal,

December: coldest day about 24F and much warmer than normal, Christmas Day 64F.

January:  just cold as usual, cold front, then chinook, then cold front, again chinook....

Best to your bees.
Van

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:52:26 am »
Henbit, that reliable early riser is up and my girls are hitting it hard.  Dark orange almost burgundy pollen.

I haven't seen the plant but Yellow Rocket is likely the source of the much fewer bright yellow pollen sacs I see right now.

Near Huntsville Alabama.  just had a long wet warmish spell, but cold is coming back. 

Luckily Henbit can take it.

Barry

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 07:56:43 pm »
I'm also in Huntsville.  I don't see any Henbit yet, but chickweed, and they're bringing in something white.  Big baskets of it.  I want to say it's Maple.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 11:09:58 pm »
I guess I am going to have to go walking, looking for bee activity, because I also don't see where they are getting the yellow pollen. How soon do holly and privet bloom?

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:32 am »
NC 27603  Henbit, Chickweed, and Rosemary  January 2020

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 10:47:47 pm »
My bees are bringing in major pollen right now, both light yellow and also this pale red wine colored pollen. Maybe from the henbit that is beginning to bloom? I never knew pollen came in such different colors. Besides henbit and leatherleaf mahonia blooming, I have a sweet tea olive (fragrans osmanthus) blooming It has a beautiful smell. Like wild honey.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 11:24:41 pm »
My forecast is similar to Mr Vans. 25, 22, and 27f . Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night. I suppose this will put a halt on in-coming pollen?

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:18 am »
My bees are bringing in major pollen right now, both light yellow and also this pale red wine colored pollen. Maybe from the henbit that is beginning to bloom? I never knew pollen came in such different colors. Besides henbit and leatherleaf mahonia blooming, I have a sweet tea olive (fragrans osmanthus) blooming It has a beautiful smell. Like wild honey.
Deadnettle has red wine colored pollen.

In Charlotte NC have that coming in, henbit open, some red maples (dirty grey pollen) open, mahonia (oregon grape) blooming, camelia and hellebore.

At a farm there was a spruce pushing pollen, normally I think they are wind pollinated but had bees bringing in pollen that is the same color (pale yellow), so I suspect they're working those trees too.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:03 am »
Yes2matt. It is stuff like dead nettle that I do not even recognize that will keep me confused about when pollen or nectar is available.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 09:30:46 am »
My forecast is similar to Mr Vans. 25, 22, and 27f . Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night. I suppose this will put a halt on in-coming pollen?
Giving us 22 16 20 and 23.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 09:40:35 am »
Ouch! It will be 27, 25, then 26F here. That is a killing freeze. All the new spring growth and flowers will be dead. As a first year beek, I worry about my winter colony. At least it will warm back up during the daytime into the 40s and 50s, unlike some you northern and central guys.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 10:26:56 am »
List of pollen sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pollen_sources

Some people do not like Wikipedia so do with this what you like.
jimmy

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:28 pm »
Great resource jiminey. Thanks.

anything