Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: # of medium supers  (Read 3556 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
# of medium supers
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:46:20 am »
Hi all this spring I have 2 packages of bees coming and I already received most of my equipment.  I'm going with an all medium hive in an open brood configuration.  I got to thinking though.  Do I have enough medium hive bodies?  I only ordered enough for 5 max per hive and if the bees don't do much this year that'd be plenty, but shouldn't I have more on hand just in case there is a really good flow and one or both really take off?  If so how many would you recommend?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: # of medium supers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:52:16 am »
Where are you located?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:56:36 am »
east central missouri.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:40 am »
It is enough for long time. When colonies occupy 4 mediums, get them more.

But don't feed hives so full of syrup that they cap syrup/honey large areas during feeding. Let them take their food from nature. It gives room for new brood and you get big hives.  Bees draw new combs when they need them. Don't force them build too much.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 02:54:26 am »
Will do.  Thanks for the advise.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:23 am »
Yoy may want to keep a nuc box handy in case one of your hives throws a swarm. It would be a shame to lose them if it happens and you have a chance at catching it. ;)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 08:53:44 am »
Yoy may want to keep a nuc box handy in case one of your hives throws a swarm. It would be a shame to lose them if it happens and you have a chance at catching it. ;)

That happens to beginner often because they have not experinece when to get new room for bees. If bees hive small hive with honey swarm escape without warning.  When it seem that one box is occupyed, you may put second box lowest under brood box. So brood area is warm and colony can enlarge into lower box.

Otherwise it is quite impossible that small nucleus will swarm in same summer.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:20:48 am »
We run mediums here, three supers for them, the rest for honey (we hope!).  We started out with five total per hive, but had more them on site to build, when we needed them.  Right now there's 30 made up in my diningroom, awaiting paint - we're getting ready for three nukes we're putting at our home in Maine and two packages we're installing over at my mother's. 

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »

Yeah I figured on that possibility.  Since they're fairly cheap I bought a couple nuc's and frames the same time I got the rest of the equipment.  Heck if one or both of the colonies do well enough I'll make an attempt to do a split in early fall.  Seening as how this will be my first year I'll be plenty happy if the simply live and make it through winter.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 08:34:42 pm »
>It is enough for long time. When colonies occupy 4 mediums, get them more.

Exactly.

An extra bottom and an extra lid would be handy in case of swarms.  I like to have one box with the bottom attached for more ease of use with swarms.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything