BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

What are Braulids?

(1/2) > >>

BeeMaster2:
What are Braulids? Braulids are flies that can live alongside honey bees in their colonies. Unlike most flies, Braulids don?t have wings or halteres. Braulids are commonly found on the heads of honey bee workers, drones, and especially queens, where they feed on food from the honey bee?s mouth. Braulids aren?t huge pests or problems in a colony, so there is no cause for alarm if you find them in your colony. Sometimes, they can be mistaken for Varroa.

What should I look out for? Upon emergence from their eggs, Braulid larvae construct a tunnel under honey cell cappings (as shown in this photo). This visible tunnel can indicate there is a possible Braulid presence. Regardless of this visible damage, the effects on the colony are minimal.
Jim Altmiller

BeeMaster2:
Here is a photo of a honey frame that indicates that there are Braulids in the hive.

Jim Altmiller

rast:
Made me wonder why Gainesville is wanting to study them. I haven't seen them yet. 

The15thMember:
Woah, that is so weird!  I've never heard of them before.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on July 12, 2021, 10:14:34 pm ---Woah, that is so weird!  I've never heard of them before.

--- End quote ---

Nor have I. Is this something new here in America? Have they been brought here from another Continent or region?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version