BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Sick bees with strings on butts?

(1/5) > >>

brookscj:
I have a couple hives that are not doing well. The brood is dying shortly before hatching in some cases.  The queen isn't laying well (very little new brood).  There is fecal matter in the hive like you would see with nosema. The strangest symptom is that many of the bees have what looks like a fine string sticking out of their tail end maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch. I have seen them attempt to remove it to no avail.  That is something I have never seen before.  Any idea what this might be?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: brookscj on May 23, 2021, 11:27:55 pm ---I have a couple hives that are not doing well. The brood is dying shortly before hatching in some cases.  The queen isn't laying well (very little new brood).  There is fecal matter in the hive like you would see with nosema. The strangest symptom is that many of the bees have what looks like a fine string sticking out of their tail end maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch. I have seen them attempt to remove it to no avail.  That is something I have never seen before.  Any idea what this might be?

--- End quote ---

I do not know but I know a man who might. TheHoneyPump. He is a member here and very gracious with sharing his knowledge. I suspect you will hear from him soon. Sorry you are having this trouble. 

BeeMaster2:
I would call your bee inspector if you have one. This is a new symptom to me.
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:
Is it possible they had some sort of massive stinging incident, and what you are seeing are workers who've lost their rear ends after stinging and so their innards are visible? 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on May 24, 2021, 10:27:44 am ---Is it possible they had some sort of massive stinging incident, and what you are seeing are workers who've lost their rear ends after stinging and so their innards are visible?

--- End quote ---

Very possible....

This following is the part that is throwing me.

>"There is fecal matter in the hive like you would see with nosema."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version