BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Honey in Beeswax

<< < (2/2)

Robo:
Wash the honey off the wax before melting it.   I pre-wash my cappings in a 5 gal bucket before melting and feed the honey water back to the bees.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Robo on August 16, 2020, 09:52:41 pm ---Wash the honey off the wax before melting it.   I pre-wash my cappings in a 5 gal bucket before melting and feed the honey water back to the bees.

--- End quote ---
That sounds like a good idea.  How do you feed the water to them? 

Robo:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on August 17, 2020, 01:08:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: Robo on August 16, 2020, 09:52:41 pm ---Wash the honey off the wax before melting it.   I pre-wash my cappings in a 5 gal bucket before melting and feed the honey water back to the bees.

--- End quote ---
That sounds like a good idea.  How do you feed the water to them?

--- End quote ---

I' not a fan of open feeding but you can do that or your regular feeding method.

Ben Framed:
Member, being you are using the crush and strain method, does not some honey get trapped within the crushed wax? Did you come up with a satisfactory solution?

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 26, 2020, 01:47:34 pm ---Member, being you are using the crush and strain method, does not some honey get trapped within the crushed wax? Did you come up with a satisfactory solution?

--- End quote ---
A little bit of honey does get trapped in the wax, but it's really not much.  I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing for now, which is just rinsing the honey off the wax once it solidifies.  I do like Rob's idea, and might give that a try in the future.  I'm about to put some treatments on my hives though, and I don't want to be feeding them back honey water at the moment.  I'll just jar up the overheated honey from the wax melting, and feed it back to them later. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version