BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Mite Bomb / co-operation well presented videos

<< < (8/8)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: William Bagwell on August 18, 2020, 09:04:58 am ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 17, 2020, 11:17:25 pm ---
Well that is a bummer! Hopefully William Bagwell will be more careful and have better results? 

--- End quote ---

Just watched the video. Less than ideal test: Very first treatment with inadequate instructions plus he made at least one mistake in placing the sensor too high. Mentions in the comments that he only received a half page of instructions, mine came with three pages and I am aware they have been updated slightly since February.

Apparently also failed to remove the closure stick at the correct time. So yes his hive had a set back. Parts of it went above the set temperature resulting in a total brood break instead of just the infected.

--- End quote ---

William I noticed this also and is the reason I suggested you may be more successful in your use. I clearly could see the room for improvement as well as following directions.

I did not read the comments but can clearly see where and why they failed. How are things progressing for you?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 17, 2020, 11:17:25 pm ---Well that is a bummer! Hopefully William Bagwell will be more careful and have better results?

In case you missed it, I posted a new topic yesterday titled  ''A Treat for No Treaters''  under this same heading, (NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS). I had you and Bob Wilson in mind when I posted it. The publisher, gets down to the nuts and bolts deeper into the video. Well worth a non-treaters time.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: charentejohn on August 18, 2020, 05:52:31 am ---Ben, did see that and have been looking for a couple of related things. 
I actually see mechanical, like heating, things as ot helping.  Cooking varroa in the cells is a little nuts and helps the bees not at all.  They still have to cope with future varroa or will they get a roasting for the rest of  their lives. 
The more I dig the more I can see they have many ways to control varroa if not distracted.

--- End quote ---

Glad you took a look, I am wondering if you and I are once again in miscommunication. :shocked:  lol:
Let me ask seeking to be clear. Did you look at the new topic ''A Treat for No Treaters'' under this same Heading, (NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS)?

Actually Richard Noel the video maker, was not speaking of mechanical or heating. He was speaking of a network of researching beekeepers who have joined forces from all over the world, sharing up to the minute information and notes of success and failures of their efforts in developing a TF bee. This a very modern and intensive approach with very intelligent keepers sharing not only information, but bees themselves as breeding stock in the cooperative effort to develop a bee with the desired trait in a TF (bloodline), if you will,  which will resist varroa destructor. A very honorable cause, well worth noting in my humble opinion.

'

William Bagwell:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 18, 2020, 09:20:37 am ---
William I noticed this also and is the reason I suggested you may be more successful in your use. I clearly could see the room for improvement as well as following directions.

I did not read the comments but can clearly see where and why they failed. How are things progressing for you?

--- End quote ---

Kind of wish I had caught a big swarm of bright yellow Italians with a marked queen. Then I would have the perfect excuse to try my MMK.

Actually need to watch the video a second time and pay more attention to the video and less to the comments.

Up to seven hives at the moment, was briefly at eight. Started in March with a nuc from a successful TF beek. Moved it to a ten frame the day I got it. At two weeks did an inspection and added a medium. Thirteen days later they swarmed! Thought I had all the time in the world but had missed queen cups. Knew there were no cells and afterwards found the cups in the photos taken that day. Caught the swarm BTW and it is going strong. Also made a split which is still doing good. Origional is now a dead out. Between a swarm, split and at least one small after swarm it had too much room for the number of bees...

Little over a month ago bought out someone who is moving out of state. (Also a TF beek) Six hives, five with bees. Four are caught swarms one has a VSH queen. Mishmash of equipment so I now have a Warre, two top bars and two more langs to go with the two I already had. (hive & nuc each) The one empty hive is a cathedral style.

So basically have been busy!  Monitoring the mite drop on the ones I can and not seeing anything alarming.

Ben Framed:
William you are on the ball making steady forward progress!  Keep up the good work and let us know how your thermal treatment is delivering, as you use and learn more, please.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version