BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Inspections, the good ol? days.

<< < (3/3)

Michael Bush:
Certainly losses were very low back in the "golden age of beekeeping".  You put them in a box and tried to keep them from swarming...

Skeggley:
Thanks guys, pretty much in line with my practices, a couple of inspections springtime for swarm prevention then just entrance and weight checks then they're on their own.
Yeah pretty hard to lose a colony here but I still manage...

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 08, 2019, 09:38:02 am ---I agree that a strong well established hive does a pretty good job of keeping them intact. But to a keeper interested in late summer and fall splits, they can be a thorn in the side. It just seems to take more resources to make late summer splits in SHB territory, one had better watch these new splits very carefully, which  takes time and careful management.

--- End quote ---
Phillip,
Bee careful with all of those inspections, As I have mentioned several times before that I have learned from my observation hive, that after the inspection, the SHBs have free run of the hive for 2 to 3 days while the bees are fixing up anything you messed up in the hive.
I have not tried opening the hive and carefully putting everything back with zero damage as you can do with a new Nuc but I suspect that it would reduce the time it takes for the bees to make repairs and get back to SHB guard duty and egg removal.
Jim Altmiller

Michael Bush:
>As I have mentioned several times before that I have learned from my observation hive, that after the inspection, the SHBs have free run of the hive for 2 to 3 days while the bees are fixing up anything you messed up in the hive.

That's why I cringe whenever someone tells me they open the hive just to kill small hive beetles.  They think they are helping the bees.  They are not.  They are just releasing all the corraled small hive beetles to run around the hive again.  Also inspections can set off robbing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version