Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fade Resistant Pen  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
Fade Resistant Pen
« on: June 11, 2018, 06:16:49 pm »
This may have already been discussed somewhere. I have been using tape on top of my hives to mark down current issues, dates, etc. Problem is the permanent markers I'm using are in fact not permanent, and fade away in a couple of weeks. Anyone have a really good solution. I put the tape on top of the lid and on the back of the boxes in more shade, with similar results.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Fade Resistant Pen
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:37 pm »
I use a sharpie or the generic version, whatever I have on hand.  I use the blue painters tape on the back of my hives.  I haven't had any issues with fading.  I will say that the back of my hives are the shady(north) side.  It gets hard to read after about 6 months.  I know how they will fade in the sun.  I tried using them on plastic garden makers.  Didn't last but about three weeks. 

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:40 pm »
We use a paint pen, available in Oz at stationary stores, three times the price of a permanent marker but still have markings on painted boxes 4 years later.
They are called "UNI PAINT" and are made by the Mitsubishi Pencil Co.
PS. we paint our hive lids white and that is our note book, repaint each Winter, keep what ever you want usually on side of hive and start a new season.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:09:52 pm »
Wave, may your water be blue.  I use the same as Cao, exact:  blue painters tape. I write with permanent ink sharpie.  Due to queen rearing, most tape is removed and replaced with each batch of queens, 4-5 weeks for egg to mated proven queen.  So months in the sun, wind, rain, I have not tested the tape and ink.

I also use stick pins, colored tacks to denote issues.  Tack are removable or permanent, and weather proof.

I have frames, years old, that still have readable notes created with permanent sharpie, no tape was used due to time constraints and conditions.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:29 pm »
Try using a brick based on geometry.  It doesn't fade.  Not a new idea.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »
Yes its very simple.  Most permanent markers you buy are not UV resistant because they are usually used indoors.  Buy a garden marker for marking plant labels and it will last for years.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:39:02 pm »
I have 6 by 9? envelopes in the top of the hives. Each envelope has the hive number on top. It is working pretty well. I used to use permanent markers on the lids but sometimes the ink would disappear pretty quickly.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:30:24 am »
This may have already been discussed somewhere. I have been using tape on top of my hives to mark down current issues, dates, etc. Problem is the permanent markers I'm using are in fact not permanent, and fade away in a couple of weeks. Anyone have a really good solution. I put the tape on top of the lid and on the back of the boxes in more shade, with similar results.

Buy markers made to be used in the garden.  They are UV resistant and will not fade away.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 10:42:00 am »
Thanks to all for the response. I will try the garden type markers.

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:25 pm »
You can get a 4 pk of Sharpie Extreme fade resistant markers at Walmart for $5.97.  I haven't had any problems with them.