Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot nuc problem  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
Hot nuc problem
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:07:09 am »
Need help. I bought a nuc of carniolans the other day.

When I picked them up I was stung by one of the bees from the nuc. I dropped them off at my site. I didn?t have a screw gun to take the migratory cover off.  I put them on top of the double nuc box. Because of work and weather I wasn?t able to get back to them until today.  The purpose of the inspection today was only to get a second nuc box plus a feeder on the colony. I smoked myself and the hive. When I opened the top the bees were definitely in guard mode. I was stung 2-3 times and ran me off.  They followed me 50 yards to the truck and were still giving me the evil eye.

Anyway I increased my protective gear and went back down to the hive.  I was able to put a four frame foundationless box on to give them room to draw.Still ornery but I was able to get the inner corner on with a jar feeder Put the migratory cover on and got back to the truck.

These Nucs were over wintered in Texas so I have to wonder about the provenance of the queen.

Temperature was 70 degrees overcast not particularly  windy.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

My Italians are pussycats compared to this colony.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Hot nuc problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:29:10 am »
My Italians are pussycats compared to this colony.

This makes me laugh about what beekeepers think.  When the two guys came to pick up my hives they asked what they were and I said Italian mutts.  After slamming them around for a few minutes they said they were definitely nasty Italians.  They raised Carniolans.  Except for AHB most races are not considered defensive by nature.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:06:53 am »
Viking,
Next time you go to work on them, smoke them with just a few puffs of thick smoke in the Nuc and then wait a solid 10 minutes. The smoke them the same way and wait 30 seconds. Be sure not to band on the hive or on the platform, that can trigger a reaction from the bees.
There is a good chance that they have a lot of AFB in their genetics.
If they only chased you 50 feet their is a good chance they are not AHB. AHB will chase you a quarter mile.
Be very gentle handling the frames. It helps to keep them calm. Do not slam the frames back into the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 01:19:09 pm »
If you are working a hot hive try not to stand between the sun and the hive. Casting a shadow on the bees while working them can trigger an aggressive hive and even make calm bees hot. Learned this one the hard way with a hot swarm;)

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:42:14 pm »
Sawdust maker thanks for the ideas. I had smoked them but I didn?t wait the 10 minutes. The bees kept following me but it was only 1 or 2 at a time. 

I learned the bee gentle lesson before the hard way with a previous box.

I have to get that nuc colony moved because it is sitting on top of a colony that needs inspection. I have to wait a few days until the road dries so I can get back to them.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »
Sawdust maker thanks for the ideas. I had smoked them but I didn?t wait the 10 minutes. The bees kept following me but it was only 1 or 2 at a time. 

I learned the bee gentle lesson before the hard way with a previous box.

I have to get that nuc colony moved because it is sitting on top of a colony that needs inspection. I have to wait a few days until the road dries so I can get back to them.

Can I ask where you got the nuc from?  I bought Nucs this spring and they are crazy hot. I smell banana the moment I pop their lids. I get chased for crazy distances. They are unworkable without smoke and unpleasant with it.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:57:12 pm »
Near Howard lake

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:02:28 pm »
Honestly I am going to have a bucket of soapy water with me for the next check. If they don?t settle down I will euthanise the box. I assumed they were carniolans but it is possible that they are Russians. I hate to lose the money but I don?t want to keep a hive that is a potential public safety problem. They are on an abandoned farm site. The cash renters and the owner have to drive by them to check water etc.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 12:45:22 am »
Different guy. Why don?t you try requeening before killing them?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 02:13:46 am »
That is my goal. I?m going to split the nuc to find out which side has the queen and replace her.

I gave them extra room to work and I hope that helps with the crankiness.

Believe me I don?t want to euthanise but I have a responsivlbility to other keepers in the area to only keep bees that are workable. I don?t want to release the genetics of irritable drones to the local area.

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:15 am »
I am hoping for a hot dry day so I can get in their mid day to try for a rehoming into a full sized hive that is languishing.

anything