Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.  (Read 9181 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 09:07:19 pm »
We have had the Japanese version since the late 80s. They will grab a forager now and then from the front of the hive, but they are not in sufficient numbers to present a problem to bees or people. They are probably 4x the weight of a normal hornet. The sting is quite unpleasant. Imagine holding 4-5 honeybees to the same spot. My leg heated up and swelled for an hour and the initial pain of the sting was probably 7-8 minutes as if it was still stinging. It left a dent below my skin and eventually a small scar.

However, I stand by what I said. They are no threat to us, or 99.999% of our bees. Just another story to stoke fear and sell advertising. imo
Are you sure you aren't seeing European hornets?  They are essentially the same size, just a different color.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 11:24:38 pm »

I know were talking about miser hornets but check this Queen European hornet out. She had started a nest in one my swarm boxes. I missed her this morning so I left it. Knew she would be back. Got her this evening.  She had 4 eggs laid.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 09:54:25 am »
Very well could be European. It's one of those things where we were told they were Japanese 30 years ago and it stuck.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 10:10:12 am »
We have had the Japanese version since the late 80s. They will grab a forager now and then from the front of the hive, but they are not in sufficient numbers to present a problem to bees or people. They are probably 4x the weight of a normal hornet. The sting is quite unpleasant. Imagine holding 4-5 honeybees to the same spot. My leg heated up and swelled for an hour and the initial pain of the sting was probably 7-8 minutes as if it was still stinging. It left a dent below my skin and eventually a small scar.

However, I stand by what I said. They are no threat to us, or 99.999% of our bees. Just another story to stoke fear and sell advertising. imo
Are you sure you aren't seeing European hornets?  They are essentially the same size, just a different color.   

I confess, I am confused on the two species. This is a picture oF the European Hornet?   Will the European Hornet kill bees the same as the Japanese Hornet as they are the same size, unless the different species prefer a different diet?  HELP MEMBER. lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 10:37:35 am »
I confess, I am confused on the two species. This is a picture oF the European Hornet?   Will the European Hornet kill bees the same as the Japanese Hornet as they are the same size, unless the different species prefer a different diet?  HELP MEMBER. lol

:grin:  The picture I posted and the picture Nock posted (impressive, by the way) are both the European hornets.  Notice that the European hornets have a dark head, whereas the Asian Giant hornet has a yellow head.  European hornets were introduced to the US sometime in the 1800s, and are native to Europe, as their name suggests.  They will catch and eat honey bees, and can often be found hovering around hives trying to catch a meal, but unlike the Asian Giant Hornets, they will not invade a strong hive en masse.  The Asian Giant hornets' ability to do this is what makes them so dangerous to a European honey bee colony.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:52 am »
Yeah I?ve seen the European around here since I was a kid. I do see them around my hives as well. As member said they will eat bees.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2020, 12:18:19 pm »
Yeah I?ve seen the European around here since I was a kid. I do see them around my hives as well. As member said they will eat bees.

The picture y?all posted of this hornet looks like it would be an awesome terror. 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2020, 02:31:56 pm »
Here is a video I posted on IG about a week ago. If this is European, then that is what we have in TN. And while their sting is quite unpleasant, I still think the media hype, fear and high blood pressure is much worse than the hornet will ever be, to us or bees.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQLs3slhIm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2020, 05:56:01 pm »
Here is a video I posted on IG about a week ago. If this is European, then that is what we have in TN. And while their sting is quite unpleasant, I still think the media hype, fear and high blood pressure is much worse than the hornet will ever be, to us or bees.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQLs3slhIm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Yes, that is a European hornet.  And I totally agree with you.  It's shameful, especially in these uncertain times, how the media is willing to make money off of people's fear.  Have you seen some of the tabloid headlines about the so-called "Murder Hornets" lately?  Truly sickening.     

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:29 am »
Yep. Went to work recently and two people asked me about them. They were concerned about my bees. I think putting a few billion cameras and microphones (mobile phones) in the hands of 2-3 billion people and connecting them all has had a negative affect on news being reported responsibly. If you report the truth, you have 1000s of other stories/sources vying for people's attention. If you make up some ridiculous headline like "murder hornets" then you get your 15 minutes of fame. This is fundamentally flawed.

Also, I edited my post with correction to European. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:27:56 pm by JojoBeeBoy »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 03:46:14 am »
Yes JoJo, I used to live in Murfreesboro, and the photos I have of a queen European Hornet that made a nest in my swarm trap is from there.  Nope, there are no established colonies of Giant Asian Hornets in the Western Hemisphere.

Asian Hornets (Which are not the same as Giant Asian Hornets) are established in Western Europe, and creating havoc over there, and the German Yellowjacket has invaded the Northeastern USA, and will hunt honeybee larvae.  The native Yellowjackets do not hunt honeybees.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:43:53 am by CapnChkn »
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2020, 07:20:32 pm »
Anyone else seen the latest fear monger headline regarding this topic, courtesy of the Seattle Times: "'Murder hornets" invading US are about to enter "slaughter phase'".  So many yellow and black striped insects will pay the price for this.  :angry: 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/murder-hornets-invading-u-s-are-about-to-enter-slaughter-phase/

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2020, 10:56:22 pm »
The media will sensationalize anything and everything to improve viewership and subscribers today...it's pathetic....

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 11:23:36 pm »
Maybe folks will remember the phrase  (Track it don?t wack it) and things will turn out ok? I am asking; If they have the technology of a tracking device capable of tracking this creature, shouldn?t they have a sound method of attachment of this device?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 01:21:15 am »
Welp, it's official...

"Washington state bug hunters find first ever Asian giant 'murder hornets' nest in US"

They caught a few in traps and placed tracking devices on them to aid in locating the nest...in Washington.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/washington-state-bug-hunters-find-first-ever-asian-giant-murder-hornets-nest-in-us

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2020, 04:59:05 am »
Welp, it's official...

"Washington state bug hunters find first ever Asian giant 'murder hornets' nest in US"

They caught a few in traps and placed tracking devices on them to aid in locating the nest...in Washington.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/washington-state-bug-hunters-find-first-ever-asian-giant-murder-hornets-nest-in-us

Thanks for posting this.....

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2020, 10:18:55 am »
Here is a stinger to avoid.  European hornet I caught in my apiary.  The honey bee is for size comparison.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2020, 10:21:10 am »

What a face.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

anything