Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fipronil to control Yellow Jackets  (Read 13686 times)

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
Fipronil to control Yellow Jackets
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:27:01 pm »
We have had an extremely bad summer yellow jacket problem here in Oregon.  I just recently stumbled upon a very effective technique for wiping out yellow jackets. The chemical Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline flea and tick medicine for pets. It is sold on the internet under brand name Taurus SC.  Lace meat bait stations with Fipronil and the yellow jackets feast.  They bring the substance back to their nest and within a few days the entire nest/population is dead. 

At one of my outyards there was about 50-100 yellow jackets hovering around the hive and constantly trying to get into the entrance.  When i cracked open the hive yellow jackets immediately started flying into the hive and killing the bees that were clinging to the inner cover.  Got stung by dang yellow jackets too :(  After using the fipronil there are only a few yellow jackets around.  Back to a peaceful hive.

Im not a real fan of poisons but this most likely saved the hive.  Not sure if this is a new thing but its new to me and thought some of you could benefit.  I believe the product is mainly used for ants and termites.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Fipronil to control Yellow Jackets
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:05:35 pm »
Thanks Dusty,

I had a terrible time with yellow jackets last year but not so much this year...yet. I will remember this advice. :smile:
Neill

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 11:00:59 pm »
Good tip, thanks. Had a real big yellow jacket nest in my back yard  four years ago and couldn't kill it with sprays no matter what I tried. A two week freeze finally took it out.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:28:59 am »
We have had an extremely bad summer yellow jacket problem here in Oregon.  I just recently stumbled upon a very effective technique for wiping out yellow jackets. The chemical Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline flea and tick medicine for pets. It is sold on the internet under brand name Taurus SC.  Lace meat bait stations with Fipronil and the yellow jackets feast.  They bring the substance back to their nest and within a few days the entire nest/population is dead. 

At one of my outyards there was about 50-100 yellow jackets hovering around the hive and constantly trying to get into the entrance.  When i cracked open the hive yellow jackets immediately started flying into the hive and killing the bees that were clinging to the inner cover.  Got stung by dang yellow jackets too :(  After using the fipronil there are only a few yellow jackets around.  Back to a peaceful hive.

Im not a real fan of poisons but this most likely saved the hive.  Not sure if this is a new thing but its new to me and thought some of you could benefit.  I believe the product is mainly used for ants and termites.

is that a hornet or a wasp?
I have seen wasps robbing hives and I have seen wasps taking apart dead (or almost dead) bees. But I have never known them to actually kill bees.
What variety is this?

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:10:22 am »
Black forest,

Yellow jackets are quite small wasps. This time of the year they get desperate for food and will rob garbage cans, dumps, bee hives anything they can find.
Neill

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:15:36 am »
From what Ive read, the yellow jacket is basically a hornet. They are more aggressive than wasps. Wasps dont really bother me or my bees.  Yellow jackets usually attack and kill any unfortunate bee that lands on the grass in front of the hive. They fly at lower temps than bees and enter the hives on cool mornings before the bees are active. In low numbers they arent really a problem but when they get out of control they are a real pain.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 01:29:14 pm »
I tried baiting meat before with something else.  didn't think to try the Fipronil.  two years in a row they destroyed my hives and I didn't have any bees this year.  I'll try this and see if it helps.  Thanks!!

What meat did you use?  I think I tried cat food and tuna before. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 03:56:20 pm »
I guess technically they are all lart of the wasp family, not that it matters much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornet

Tuna was used to bait the yellow jackets Kathy.  The only concern really is not to use anything as bait that bees would be interested.  Probably wouldnt take much Fipronil to kill a beehive.

Just noticed you were in Boring Kathy, small world.  I have 2 hives at a friends place in Boring off of 272nd.  There are alot of YJ but the bees are managing.  The YJ problem is much worse at my hives in Molalla.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 05:16:18 pm »
Yeah, lots of beekeepers out here.  Probably more than is good.   :grin:
How do your Boring hives produce?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 08:55:17 pm »
Youre probably right Kathy. I know theres a big commercial operation out there.  I only had one production hive in Boring and then one swarm that i moved out there and let build up.  I would guess about 30-40lbs off the one hive. Im still drawing out supers too which slows them down a bit. How do your hives do?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »
They did well the first few years, but then not as well.  It was both the Yellowjackets and I think, to many hives in my area.  Withing the flying radius of my bees are berry farms.  they bring in 100s of hives and I noticed that as they have grown, my production went down.

In addition, we have a lot of backyard beekeepers around here so picking up swarms gets to be a real competitive sport   :cheesy:  I have been around for a while so I get a lot of calls, but this year was skimpy for swarm pickup. 

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:45 pm »
The best thing I have is the moth trap I use all summer long.  Works great and when I don't use it i have yellow jacket (mainly) problems.  Gets a lot of undesirable bugs for me.  Hope this helps.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:05:48 am »
Friskies? Ocean Whitefish is the preferred bait, less is better on the fipronil.
here is the link to the research. I do not think that I see too much activity at the bait stations
https://www.pestboard.ca.gov/howdoi/research/2009_yellowjacket.pdf
I also have two hives on Haley road, and about 10 or so between Boring and Damascus at home.
If you drive down hwy 212 and see the honey sign stop in and say hi.
Kathy, I have had too many hives this year. I am not set up for winter so I will see what spring brings me but I will see if I can cut you some with some old queens (after my grafting) and let you build back up!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 11:21:18 am »
Kathy, I have had too many hives this year. I am not set up for winter so I will see what spring brings me but I will see if I can cut you some with some old queens (after my grafting) and let you build back up!

That would be fantastic.  I miss my hives!   :grin:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 11:26:18 am »
Minz
didn't know how much you were still doing so I didn't send any cutouts your way this year.  I did get a couple of calls for those.  let me know if you are still doing them or know of anyone who is.  I try to keep a list for people.  Seems most everyone has quit doing them in our area.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »
I have not even been putting up my swarm traps the last year. I don't mess with cut outs.
I did get a monster swarm from a nursery by you (Orient road) that filled three deeps! I kept scooping them in and finally put on a third box and left them alone. They drew out 20 deep half frames and 10 deep frames in about a week.

I was grafting last year to try things and with the winter I came out with too many hives to take care of with a full time job.
The weather hit for Maple late when they were strong and with the little extractor you set me up with was a lot of work. Started grafting late and went into winter with too many old queens.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

anything