Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This is interesting  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
This is interesting
« on: November 30, 2022, 11:54:00 am »
This is one of Marleys hives. I saw this at daybreak this morning just got around to snapping a pic. I was in this hive Sunday. It had a Queen (this years), open and capped brood, plenty of open comb and a decent amount of bees(4-5 frames), pollen and nectar.

It was kind of chilly last night. I just found it interesting.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:04:29 pm by Bill Murray »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: This is interesting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 01:30:14 pm »
Bill,
Our observation hive looks like it has swarmed. The numbers are down by about two thirds in the past week. I didn?t think they would swarm once the temperature started dropping. We never saw any queen cells. We are keeping an eye out for the queen.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 06:52:51 pm »
They are still hanging there. Bees coming and going through the entrance. Again, an interesting issue. My theroy is a swarm from somewhere. Ill let it ride for a while.

The reason for the post was to just get some conversation started on what can happen not what you think should happen.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 09:39:50 pm »
Brush them into a box with frames and see if they stay?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:25 am »
Brush them into a box with frames and see if they stay?
+1 check for queen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 01:22:11 pm »
No think not.

Probably loaded with mites. I hate they even landed there.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 07:01:03 pm »
Stick them in a box and treat them with OAV, it would be a good time since there is no brood.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 07:39:44 pm »
Stick them in a box and treat them with OAV, it would be a good time since there is no brood.

Thats what I do G3...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 10:01:30 pm »
So even if i put them in a box, treated them , then have to get them through winter. If they dont make it what a waste of time No?

And i know someones going to say its free bees. come feb I got all the free bees I want with queens from stock I want. Not some mite infested junk that I have to treat and try to coax through winter.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
This is interesting
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 10:13:21 pm »
If you see no need or benefit for them, then I would brush them into a tub of soapy water - or sweep them into a nuc box and sell/give away to a competent keeper who can properly deal with the potential issues ahead. 
That does yourself, and your bee neighbours a favour.  1) If they are loaded with mites, you control/eliminate the problem before they can drift into nearby colonies and infest them.  2) if they have suicidal swarmy genetic tendencies, you can eliminate/reduce the gene problem before they can procreate with nearby colonies.
Win-Win : no downside. 

If you leave them?  My wager is the size will trickle as the bees drift and beg into the hive they are sitting on or one nearby.  If there is a queen, eventually there will be a tennis ball there until they just outright abandon her and move into the hive with all the other bees.  She will perish from exposure or be killed trying to enter the hive.

2c
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 07:48:04 am »
Thanks HP, I wouldnt give/let alone sell them to anyone not knowing where they came from (thats just me though). Already thought about soaping them.
And I should have on the spot, but then heres where I made the mistake, I started thinking. Now come the excuses: I had a very full plate the past couple of days,the weather was awful and They wernt fighting to get in, and in my mind the mite damage was already done, and there was no way they would make it through the next couple of months. So then I snapped a pic and carried on thinking they would be gone the next day. Second mistake, Didnt think through the fact they had to go somewhere and/or be a problem for someone else. But also didnt think they would erect a homeless camp, and stay, or the ramifications of that on the other hives here.

Food for thought. My gut feeling is some one right this minute or this weekend will be saying wonder what happened to my hive? It was booming a couple weeks ago.

Anyway thanks for the input everyone. Im not traveling today so Ill get it rectified when the sun comes up.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 08:20:29 am »
No think not.

Probably loaded with mites. I hate they even landed there.
No more so then any hive without brood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it