Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All y'all in Florida  (Read 1823 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
All y'all in Florida
« on: November 11, 2022, 09:50:19 am »
Lord, have mercy!   Here's hoping you are each safe and whole.  I'm never sure if what I'm seeing on the "news" is true or not anymore, but what I'm seeing looks pretty hard. Bee well, bee preserved.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: All y'all in Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 08:55:31 pm »
Matt,
We were pretty lucky here ate the farm and so was Jacksonville. South of Jacksonville was hit pretty hard, a lot of flooding.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 08:56:47 pm »
Good to hear.............
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 07:47:06 am »
Though efforts were made to keep this topic as intended by Matt and head off political debate 'here', the effort was a failure, therefore the topic has been split. You will find each post from this point 'concerning politics' in The Coffeehouse
under the Title: "Should Florida Change Its Building Codes?"

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:36:32 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:15:37 am »
Sorry so late in replying but my double box was turned upside down in the Hurricane that hit Port St. Lucie. There I was at daybreak suited up ready to get them back upright.
Btw the weather finally got cooler and I just yesterday extracted 25 pounds off of two of my hives!
I feel guilty as those are wrapping their boxes to ready for winter , down here they are very busy with pollen and honey
God bless you all and hope you?re holidays are greatly enjoyed 
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 01:25:13 pm »
Sorry so late in replying but my double box was turned upside down in the Hurricane that hit Port St. Lucie. There I was at daybreak suited up ready to get them back upright.
Btw the weather finally got cooler and I just yesterday extracted 25 pounds off of two of my hives!
I feel guilty as those are wrapping their boxes to ready for winter , down here they are very busy with pollen and honey
God bless you all and hope you?re holidays are greatly enjoyed 
Hey Salty!  It's good to hear from you again!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 10:54:30 am »
Thanks member it?s good to know I can drop by once or twice a year and the friends are still here.
Amazing and questionable thing about my honey draw. The frames were all nicely sealed but there was a ton of pollen covering a lot of it.
The results are a grainy looking honey after filtering through a cheese cloth
I figure it?s gotta be good for ya right?
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 11:51:37 am »
Thanks member it?s good to know I can drop by once or twice a year and the friends are still here.
Amazing and questionable thing about my honey draw. The frames were all nicely sealed but there was a ton of pollen covering a lot of it.
The results are a grainy looking honey after filtering through a cheese cloth
Are you sure it's pollen?  Could it be that the honey is just a little bit crystallized?  Our blackberry honey will turn grainy and form crystals after a while.  You could try to heat the honey a little bit and see if the crystals dissolve.  Or you could just let it go and soon it will be all little crystals.  Some people don't like solid honey, but I think it's delicious!  :tongue:  Some people also try to get honey to crystallize, but with very small crystals so it doesn't feel grainy, but then it will be spreadable.  Different places have different names for it, including creamed honey, soft-set honey, and whipped honey.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 09:38:25 am »

Some folks collect and take pollen as a dietary supplement because of the health benefits found in pollen. That being the case, pollen mixed in honey should be good for you..  To know what the answer is in your case, (pollen or crystallized honey), you might try the good suggestion by Member just to see if it is pollen or sightly crystalized honey. If you do try heating it do not exceed the temperature which will break down the 'good' enzymes found in both pollen and honey.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 12:55:01 pm »
Yeah it was bright fuzzy yellow on top of the capped honey. I?m gifting it for Christmas so I want people to know that with the supposed pollen that it?s very good for you. Who doesn?t like raw honey??
It?s up to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 01:04:03 pm »
Salty I miss your absence in between those long periods without you posting. Glad you are posting on this subject!  You bring up some real interesting thoughts!.. 

Phillip   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 08:11:11 pm »
Salty,
Sounds like it is pollen. When pollen is mixed into the honey it gives it a tart taste.
I suspect you do crush and strain because usually pollen bread does not come out of the comb during extraction.
You can avoid this the next time by taking the time to cut out the pollen cells out before putting it in with the honeycomb you are crushing and straining.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 12:59:32 pm »
Thanks Jim and love to Ben framed
I?m telling you it was like a coating because the honey cell was full underneath.
I?m excited to hear the feed back
My wife already made me refill her jar with this new honey because it was darker and tasted so good
It?s up to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 04:59:05 pm »
"My wife already made me refill her jar with this new honey because it was darker and tasted so good."

I have that small chore to do as well Salty for Relatives. 'My bees' have spoiled them with my help. lol

Phillip