BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

ALCOHOL/ANTIFREEZE WASH

(1/2) > >>

salvo:
Hi Folks,

2020 and 2021 were odd. Alcohol, if you could find it, was expensive. I had read where in 2020 and 2021 some beeks resorted to an Antifreeze Shake rather than an alcohol wash to dislodge, count and test for Varroa Mites.

I was recently asked about using antifreeze instead of alcohol to dislodge mites. Many people, myself included, have jugs of it on hand, unused.

I supposed it could work, however, the sweetness of the antifreeze may attract the attention of foraging bees.

What precautions might you suggest?

What say you?

Sal

beesnweeds:
I switched to using clear Dawn dish detergent as suggested by Randy Oliver.  1 tablespoon per 1/2 gallon of water.  Just pour the soap into a half gallon jug, dont shake.  It works great.  I wouldn't use antifreeze.  It dislodges the mites better than anything else Ive used and kills the bees instantly.

Ben Framed:
Im in favor of beesnweeds suggestion of Dawn over anti-freeze per the reason you stated Sal. (Assuming Dawn is just as effective in detaching mites from bees as alcohol). Anti-freeze 'seems' a little to much to me. l just don't know that I would be comfortable using it in this application for insects, especially bees that gather for food.. But; That is just my opinion, really I don't know!  lol 

Acebird:

--- Quote from: salvo on April 13, 2022, 06:54:35 pm ---
I was recently asked about using antifreeze instead of alcohol to dislodge mites. Many people, myself included, have jugs of it on hand, unused.

--- End quote ---
It doesn't matter until it comes time to dispose of the antifreeze.  One can only wonder why someone would have jugs of antifreeze on hand.

beesnweeds:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on April 13, 2022, 10:41:50 pm --- (Assuming Dawn is just as effective in detaching mites from bees as alcohol).

--- End quote ---

Test results:
https://scientificbeekeeping.com/refining-the-mite-wash-part-4-comparing-the-release-agents/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version