Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Candle Making questions  (Read 1896 times)

Offline dale_2275

• Brood
  • What do I do now?
Candle Making questions
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:34:47 pm »
Hello,

I'm playing around with candle making and got about 20 lbs of raw wax from the local bee supplier.

I ordered votive wicks from Betterbee and a mold and thought I was good to go. 

Melted the wax down in the double boiler, to about 180 F, poured through some old nylons and into the mold. 

The problem is that they don't burn well and actually drown in wax (I think the term is pooling).  I spoke to someone at Betterbee and she suggested that I need to boil the wax in water to separate out the honey.  I did that and it seems a bit better but not enough to say that it's working.

Someone suggested that the wick is too small but the wick was made specifically for votives so I assumed it would work. 

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dale

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Candle Making questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:58 pm »
Ideas:
Use a solar wax melter to render the wax, it is usually made to filter out foriegn matter.
Try doing the old dip method 1st.  Put a small split shot (fishing weight) on the end of a length of wick and dip, after it has a few layers clip the split shot of and dip until it has the size and shape you want.  Easiest way to make tapers and can keep kids amused for hours.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
Re: Candle Making questions
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
Hey,

Beeswax candles need square braided cotton wicks.

For votives try #2 as most useable in different smaller candles or #1 if want to burn longer.

cheers

peter

anything