Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee's and Horsies  (Read 2359 times)

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
Bee's and Horsies
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:44:13 am »
Has anyone here ever kept bee's in a pasture with livestock?, mine are actually in thier own little corral, (a 20 by 20 area) at the well pump head.
I am lucky to have such a great spot...
has anyone ever had horses beg for honey during honey season?
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Bee's and Horsies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:02:33 am »
Michael Bush has horses and bees
http://www.bushfarms.com/friesians.htm

Horses and bees should be kept as far apart as possible as they don't always make the best roomies.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:18:43 am »
Goats like to stand on the hives.  The bees usually chase the billy away due to the smell.  I keep the goats away from the hives because I don't want them knocked over.  Horses, goats, and cows will use bee hives for scratching posts and topple the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:34:43 am »
I have made my little corral for my bees at 15x15 to keep out the brown bears. The season has begun already with a visit to the bird feeders. I really hate to take them down this time of year as many beautiful birds stop by. Have made it easy for the big boy to get the seed at the end of the day so he causes less damage. It is like we have an agreement.

Offline gkempf

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:52:54 am »
I have 8 head of percherons close to my bees,i don't have any problem with them, my hives are fenced off with with electric and these horses respect electric fence, but you sure wouldn't want a horse to rub on a hive and knock it over...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:02:59 pm »
my horses are pastured next to the bees.  not a problem.  i have one young horse that stands by the fence and watches them fly.  it's kind of funny.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:09:29 pm »
My wife asked me this question this morning, as we are going to be fencing off pasture this summer. Good advice. The bees will be fine if they are OUTSIDE the fence.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 01:15:03 pm »
My bees are in the middle of my horse pasture.  You need the hives fenced off so they don't knock them over.  I have made the mistake of leaving wet supers in their reach and the horses have reached over the fence and eaten the boxes, frames, combs and all.  Not much left when they get done.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin