Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My turn to ask a question  (Read 2656 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
My turn to ask a question
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:07 pm »
If you want to incubate queen cells at 72 % humidity, and your humidistat has a 5% range, where do you run it?
67 to 72%
69.5 to 74.5%
72 to 77%
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My turn to ask a question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:03:28 pm »
If you want to incubate queen cells at 72 % humidity, and your humidistat has a 5% range, where do you run it?
67 to 72%
69.5 to 74.5%
72 to 77%
69.5 to 74.5%. This will keep the humidity at 72% the most amount of time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
Wally,I had had great success with 70% humidity.  I would go with the 67-72.  I do not like higher humidities where water condensation attaches to the cells.  I use calibrated hydrometers.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:06 am »
I do not know anything about incubating queen cells but if you need closer then 5% use two humidistats.  One would turn on the supply of moisture at 70 and the other would turn off the supply of moisture at 72.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:59:46 pm »
I'm not sure of the variation in location.  Over here I use 55% humidity for my QCs with good result.   I have many small
foam cups of water absorbing crystals rotating in and out of the incubator until the desire humidity level is reach.  Anything
over 55% here is too much moisture for the queens when they emerge.   Too much humidity will affect the queen's wings development in
my observation.

My question is why use the 77%?  Is that an ideal range for the QCs development?